No announcement yet.

Little free counterpoint quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year, Sorrano and Chris, and many thanks for your workings of the Free Counterpoint exercise. Listen, I'm in the Black Forest ('on holiday' so-called [my foot!], with a lot of work) with a very slow internet connection. When I get back home I'll send you my comments (will full annotations). A quick comment: quite melodic Violin 1 parts against the given Cantus Firmus, but you've missed out the key modulations (see my working).

Comment

Sorry, I was being a bit lazy on that exercise. I will redo it with more consideration to the harmony.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
        Has anyone used MuseScore? It's a very nice free notational software. Years ago I was planning to rescore everything I had done but never got very far. Today I downloaded the latest version and it's looking real good (for a free program) and used it for the exercise.
        I have used it. But give a try to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          A quick comment: quite melodic Violin 1 parts against the given Cantus Firmus, but you've missed out the key modulations (see my working).
          "Missed out"?

Comment

Yes Chris, your Violin 1 part makes no 'allusion' to the modulations F major / B-flat / E-flat / A-flat and then back to C minor in bars end 3 to end 5 (counting the opening anacrusis as bar 1). I'll print off your working when I'm back home and make the required annotations, scan it and post it back on the forum (via PM if you'd prefer).
            Last edited by Quijote; 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Please see my working. The exercise (end bars 3-5) is nothing more than a series of rising 4ths (or cycle of descending 5ths), or what is termed a modulating sequence. A 'cobbler's patch', to use Beethoven's words!

Comment

To be compared with the original Diabelli variations theme!

Comment

Maybe a new quiz is in order?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                    Yes Chris, your Violin 1 part makes no 'allusion' to the modulations F major / B-flat / E-flat / A-flat and then back to C minor in bars end 3 to end 5 (counting the opening anacrusis as bar 1). I'll print off your working when I'm back home and make the required annotations, scan it and post it back on the forum (via PM if you'd prefer).
                    But does it need to? I originally had something more akin to your solution there, but when I actually played it back, it sounded a bit jarring, like just charging forward through an exercise in the circle of fifths. I have the F and B-flat, as you say, but from there I was thinking G minor and then Ab, and with the latter I wanted to get that added 6 in there. That solution seemed to break up the monotony of the constant progression of fifths into something more pleasant.

I do wish I had thought to go up to the high C in the second measure as you did in that spot, though. I like your version better at that part.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                      I have used it. But give a try to this.
                      That's a linux only app and I am not running any linux. How does it compare to MuseScore?

Comment

I can't compare beause it's been a long time since I used Musescore. By that time it was rather primitive. But the link I gave you is for Windows. And there is even a Windows 8 version if you google for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          But does it need to?
                          That is the same I was thinking. If the chord factors belong to the tonality, thats all that is needed, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                            Maybe a new quiz is in order?
                            I vote for the famous chorale that appears so many times in Bach's Matthaus Passion. You could write the soprano voice to the bass, and then compare with Bach's own harmonizations. Allthough it would then be necesary to give an award to originality.

Comment

Here's my attempt. I did what I could, but do not like the lack of contrary motion in it. Next time I'll try harder.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                                I can't compare beause it's been a long time since I used Musescore. By that time it was rather primitive. But the link I gave you is for Windows. And there is even a Windows 8 version if you google for it.
                                There was (yesterday) a large download button but that was part of an advertisement. The only available NtEd that I see goes to Linux and is version 1.10.18. If you go to the developer's site it indicates it's only for Linux:

http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de...ted/nted.xhtml

It's a pity because I was looking forward to trying it.

Comment

Working...
                                X