Little free counterpoint quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little free counterpoint quiz

Anybody up for a little free counterpoint 'teaser'? Maybe for Sorrano, Chris, Peter or Gerd?
    I set this question to my students today in preparation for their exam next week.
    On the attached PDF document is the 'CF' (Cantus Firmus, or given part) for Violin II. The object is to add an upper Violin I part entirely in quavers except for the very last note.
    Go on, give it a try and compare your efforts with my students! I'll post my own working later.
    Good luck!
    Attached Files

I'll have to take a look at this for the weekend. As it is, I am a bit rusty on all that. One question, how does the word quavers translate to American?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      I'll have to take a look at this for the weekend. As it is, I am a bit rusty on all that. One question, how does the word quavers translate to American?
      Quarter notes? In 6/8, there are six of 'em. In 4/4, eight of the little monsters.

Comment

In French they are called croches. Absolutely not to be confused with crotchets. In French, crotchets are called 'noires' ['blacks']. Minims in French are called 'blanches' [whites].
        All very confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          Quarter notes? In 6/8, there are six of 'em. In 4/4, eight of the little monsters.
          Eighth notes. It will be interesting to look at your exercise, however I will probably butcher it worse than you have yet seen.

Comment

Well, just to finish the FR-GB list, Semibreves (GB) are called 'Rondes' [Rounds], and Breves (GB) are called 'Double Rondes'.
            I suppose this doesn't help at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              Eighth notes. It will be interesting to look at your exercise, however I will probably butcher it worse than you have yet seen.
              You don't know my students, Sorrano! Some are good, though. However, some should just not be studying music. Some just should not be at University at all. Such is the French system.

Comment

It is the French way. Get your 'BAC' (A-level equivalent in the GB, 'high school diploma' in the USA), and anybody has the right to attend University (not the conservatoire) depending on availability of places. So what happens? You get the good/talented mixed in with the 'not so good'. 1st year : tons of students. Second year, fewer, because many fail the end of year exams or drop out. Third year, finally we get (more or less) the students we want, the ones that would have been pre-selected after their high school results had they been in the US or the GB.
                And those who really shouldn't have been at Uni? It takes one or two years to weed them out and they have wasted their time, one or two years lost. It would be more honest to say at the outset that "You don't have the level to successfully complete your degree."

Comment

Anyway, enough of this chit-chat. Get to it, you lazy bums, and hand in some good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                    Anybody up for a little free counterpoint 'teaser'? Maybe for Sorrano, Chris, Peter or Gerd?
                    I set this question to my students today in preparation for their exam next week.
                    On the attached PDF document is the 'CF' (Cantus Firmus, or given part) for Violin II. The object is to add an upper Violin I part entirely in quavers except for the very last note.
                    Go on, give it a try and compare your efforts with my students! I'll post my own working later.
                    Good luck!
                    Er .... I'll put the kettle on.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Er .... I'll put the kettle on.
                      Dear Michel, if you have one of those old-fashioned kettles with a snout that whistles when the water begins to boil, you could, depending on its contents/volume, offer a counterpoint to the given Cantus Firmus (see PDF attached), playing with the intensity of the gas setting (or halogène, or whatever technology you have in your kitchen ...).
                      You'll have to be a pretty good dab-hand at all that, I grant you. You may rest assured that I have already tried.
                      See you in Bedlam later, OK?

Comment

Well, apart from Sorrano and Michael's involvement in this tricky little quiz, I must say I have been overwhelmed by the response.
                        Nah, anybody going to give it a go apart from the two heros mentioned above?

Comment

Sorrano: any joy for me? Will you post?
                          Michael: did you manage at least to tune your kettle to C minor?

Comment

Counterpoint for kettle drum?
                            [Groan. Ed.]

Comment

Perhaps I shall take a look at this tonight!

Comment

Working...
                              X