Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The A-Z Beethoven Quiz (rules of the game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself.
    Not all English mis-pronunciations are down to the US, Sorrano!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
      Clearly, his daughter had not heard of The Move!

Songwriter (extraordinaire) Roy Wood was really just 'tuning in' to the 'Flower Power' vibes of the time (it was 1967 after all).

But seriously, I don't consider your comments to be 'high brow' or whatever...
      Jeez PDG, your cultural references leave me standing! Translation: you make me feel like an "anorak". Which I probably am. I know The Beatles. I know The Stranglers. I really like Bowie and Lou Reed. Never heard of The Move or Roy Wood. So out of the loop I am.
      Joe Cocker! Forgot about him! Also Led Zep and Jethro Tull - played an arrangement once of JT for flute, 'cello and piano Trio [Bourrée?]. And one of my all-time favourite songs by T Rex. Forget the title, but dead sexy. Marc Bolan, yes, that was his name. Died dead young, poor bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        Jeez PDG, your cultural references leave me standing! Translation: you make me feel like an "anorak". Which I probably am. I know The Beatles. I know The Stranglers. I really like Bowie and Lou Reed. Never heard of The Move or Roy Wood. So out of the loop I am.
        Joe Cocker! Forgot about him! Also Led Zep and Jethro Tull - played an arrangement once of JT for flute, 'cello and piano Trio [Bourrée?]. And one of my all-time favourite songs by T Rex. Forget the title, but dead sexy. Marc Bolan, yes, that was his name. Died dead young, poor bastard.
        There is just too much here to respond to, responsibly (like Michael, I've had a few too many bevvies!...). But bullet points:

You've never heard of The Move?! Huh??

Jethro Tull? Gosh, you know, Ian Anderson, a good acquaintance of mine. Bowie = another genius Superstar (2nd only to McCartney in the eternal Hall of C20th pop Fame?), Oh, Gosh, on and on and on...I must lie down and re-assess , well, everything...

Matron, the screens!!!....

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          [...] But seriously, I don't consider your comments to be 'high brow' or whatever...
          That is, PDG, because deep down you are a 'mensch'. This is a Yiddish complement taught to me (a Goyim) by a former East-End London colleague who happens to be circumcised, if you get my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            That is, PDG, because deep down you are a 'mensch'. This is a Yiddish complement taught to me (a Goyim) by a former East-End London colleague who happens to be circumcised, if you get my drift.
            Thanks, Phil. I've never been called a 'mensch' before. But I'll try and remember the word if ever my doctor suggests the operation with which you conclude (ouch!)....

Comment

I'm a Goyim, but I was chopped at birth. Go figure, as the expression goes!
              And now PDG, I'm off back to bed. Got a funeral tomorrow which may explain the slightly melancholic tone of my recent postings.
              Nobody close, but still.
              Back to the "J"? OK?
              Last edited by Quijote; 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM. Reason: No reason.

Comment

J is for ...

Comment

Junker, Carl Ludwig a writer and composer heard Beethoven extemporize, and admired his wealth of ideas, technique and powers of expression.
                  He remarked: 'His style of treating his instrument is so different from that usually adopted, that it impresses one with the idea that by a path of his own discovery he has attained the height of excellence whereon he now stands'.
                  🎹

Comment

K = Maria Magdalena Keverich (1746 - 1787), Beethoven's mother.

Comment

L = Lucchesi, Andrea Capellmeister at the Bonn Court Orchestra at the time Beethoven was court musician

Comment

March in D, WoO 24,
                        🎹

Comment

"Nei campi e nelle selve" WoO 99 7b (In the fields and in the woods)

Comment

Oliva, Franz friend of B's, one of the most prolific writers in the first dozen or so Conversation booklets before his departure for St.Petersburg in 1820. B and O never met again.

Comment

P = Hieronymus (Jérôme) Payer, another DV contributor.

Comment

"Qui tollis peccata mundi" (Who taketh away the sins of the world).
                                This section of the latin mass has been set at least four times by Beethoven.
                                The words appear in the Gloria and Agnus Dei of his two great works, the Mass in C and the Missa Solemnis.

Comment

Working...
                                X