No announcement yet.

Classically snobbish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He confessed that nothing he had written had so moved him; in fact, that merely to revive it afterwards in his thoughts and feelings brought him to tears.
    Awwww really? How moving. Who did he say this to? Was it in a letter?

In 1977, two spacecraft were launched on journeys beyond the solar system and off to the infinities of space. Each carried a gold phonograph record of the Earth's music, including Beethoven's Cavatina.

I like to think that in millions, or even billions, of years from now, some extra-terrestrial being will find that music, will listen to the Cavatina, and be brought to tears.
    Yes, imagine one day aliens finding his music!!!! I think they also put the Ninth on that disc as well.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Beethoven: the Man and the Artist, as Revealed in his own Words
      edited by Friedrich Kerst and Henry Edward Krehbiel
      93. "Never did my own music produce such an effect upon me; even now when I recall this work it still costs me a tear."

(Reported by Holz. The reference is to the Cavatina from the quartet in B-flat, op. 130, which Beethoven thought the crown of all quartet movements and his favorite composition. When alone and undisturbed he was fond of playing his favorite pianoforte
      Andante--that from the sonata op. 28.)

-----------------------------------------------------------
      Found the following in a memo I wrote June 6, 1998 (but can't recall the source):
      Karl Holz, the young second violinist played in the original performances of the string quartet Opus 130, and was a good friend of Beethoven in his last years.

-----------------------------------------------------------
      Another reference mentions the Holz recollection:

BEETHOVEN
      A Character Study together with Wagner's Indebtedness to Beethoven
      By GEORGE ALEXANDER FISCHER

Comment

Thanks for the references. Very touching it moved B to tears, especially as he probably couldn't hear it being played and heard it in his head only.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
        X