Beatles Lost Chord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    Yes, it's difficult to find direct links between Norwegian Wood and Golden Brown, but there was something in the melancholia/nostalgia. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, if not plain barking.
    Yes, modal similarities. Four note melody runs ending in a low register, within pairs of bars, I see this now!

Norwegian Wood is about a clandestine affair of Lennon's. Golden Brown is not about a recent British Prime Minister (!), but rather, a reference to a certain area of a woman's anatomy which, if I finished this sentence, could see the police knocking my door within seconds!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
      Yes, modal similarities. Four note melody runs ending in a low register, within pairs of bars, I see this now!

Norwegian Wood is about a clandestine affair of Lennon's. Golden Brown is not about a recent British Prime Minister (!), but rather, a reference to a certain area of a woman's anatomy which, if I finished this sentence, could see the police knocking my door within seconds!!
      How do you know all this stuff, PDG?
      The 'Golden Brown' allusion did escape me, I admit, and I'm surprised because I have a dirty mind (normally). Did you ever see the French film 'Gazon maudit'?
      It translates literally as 'Cursed lawn' or 'Cursed turf', but the film was released in the UK under the title 'French Twist'.
      I also don't want the police (or Moderators) knocking on my door, so please go to Wikipedia (via Google after entering 'Gazon maudit') to find the true meaning of the French title.
      And please don't post your findings here !!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        ...and Paul is definitely playing a D on the bass.
        No, he is not. Just as I thought originally, the bass guitar does not play on the opening chord. I downloaded the mogg files for the song (not 100% conclusive evidence but, frankly, good enough for me) and after careful track-by-track listening it was obvious that only the two six-string guitars play that opening chord.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          No, he is not. Just as I thought originally, the bass guitar does not play on the opening chord. I downloaded the mogg files for the song (not 100% conclusive evidence but, frankly, good enough for me) and after careful track-by-track listening it was obvious that only the two six-string guitars play that opening chord.
          I went back for another listen, and I still disagree. First of all, there is only one six-string acoustic guitar (John). George is clearly playing his electric 12-string Rickenbacker 360/12. There are notes present that are deeper than what is possible on a guitar in standard tuning. I'm sure Paul is playing a D on the bass, and there are several notes being played on a piano as well. I believe there is also some percussion buried in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I went back for another listen, and I still disagree. First of all, there is only one six-string acoustic guitar (John). George is clearly playing his electric 12-string Rickenbacker 360/12. There are notes present that are deeper than what is possible on a guitar in standard tuning. I'm sure Paul is playing a D on the bass, and there are several notes being played on a piano as well. I believe there is also some percussion buried in there.
            There are resonant lower D notes from non-Beatle George Martin's piano, and yes, of course (sorry), Beatle George is playing a 12-string, but there is no bass guitar on the opening chord.

Comment

Working...
            X