Latest Beethoven research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Beethoven research

Very interesting article (Ian Woodfield, Queen's University, Belfast) in the musicological journal Music & Letters, Vol. 93 No. 3 (2012) : Christian Gottlob Neefe and the Bonn National Theatre, with New Light on the Beethoven Family. Please see the PDF attachment for the abstract of the article (badly scanned by me, you'll need to rotate it).
    Anyway, of particular interest are accounts of Johann van Beethoven's last operatic appearances and the possibility that Beethoven rushed back from Vienna not only to tend to his dying mother but also (perhaps, perhaps!) to take part in the performances beside his father.
    Maybe you can check this out if your library subscribes to the journal. If not, contact me via PM for a 'solution'. (I never said that.)
    Attached Files

I am, frankly, truly overwhelmed by this 'reference' forum's interest in recent Beethoven research.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
      I am, frankly, truly overwhelmed by this 'reference' forum's interest in recent Beethoven research.
      I think the problem is with your PDF document. It wouldn't open for me and I wonder if anybody else had that problem.
      The new information looks fascinating but I can only read what you posted.

Comment

Yes, I can get it , but it's upside down.

I'll see if I can turn it round, but can't promise anything.
        🎹

Comment

Sorry if I was a bit irritated there, my apologies.
          The badly scanned (by me) PDF file needs to be opened by Adobe software (which I think is a standard feature on most people's computers) and then 'rotated' twice (in the 'view' function) for the text to become clear.
          The PDF abstract I attached gives only a glimpse - the entire paper in the Music & Letters journal runs to some 30 pages and is absolutely fascinating. As I said, if you don't have ready access to the journal (which is quite expensive for private subscribers, I must say) please try your local library. Failing that, you might PM me for a solution, though I never said that, because of copyright and so on. As it happens, I was walking home only the other day and found a photocopy of the 30-page article on the road that had fallen off the back of a lorry. Honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Yes, I can get it , but it's upside down.

Did you try standing on your head, Megan? That should be no trouble to a real Beethoven fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Did you try standing on your head, Megan? That should be no trouble to a real Beethoven fan.
              I was able to rotate upright, but unable to make a copy of it.
              🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                You beat me to that one!

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! I was going to check out the availability of Music and Letters but things have been terribly busy for me at work, so I tend to forget things like that when I get home.

Comment

I can't read the full article (not sure about your dubious offer!) but from your scan and summary we learn about the last operatic appearance of Johann van Beethoven and that it was possibly a factor in determining Beethoven's return to Bonn after only a few weeks in Vienna - this last assumption I think highly unlikely.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

A subscription to Music and Letters is quite a bit; over $400 US dollars. Just a day only pay for view to the article is $25 US. Bummer!

Comment

I did have one request via PM for the 'solution' I referred to above. The person who made the request has kindly offered to give you all a detailed summary of the article.
                        [No he didn't! Ed.]

Comment

Working...
                        X