Beethoven's inner ear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's inner ear

My God, I'm off at a tangent here! It's just my usual 'decompression' after a difficult day, so please indulge me.
    [They don't and won't. Ed.]
    Thank you, Ed. May I continue?
    [If you must. Ed.]
    I hate you, Ed. Anyway, I remember reading Schindler (remember Roehre's advice to take it with a pound of salt...) who reported that Louis could read and hear a score 'internally' like you and I read written text, which is to say we don't have to read the words aloud to 'hear' what is on the page.
    We might argue then that given this skill, Beethoven should not have been too worried about being deaf.
    I haven't the foggiest what I'm driving at here.
    Last edited by Quijote; 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM. Reason: Missing clauses

Wasn't his greatest concern over the ability to continue playing piano? He did not seem as concerned, to me, on what he could write (rather on how people perceived a deaf composer), but that it would kill his ability to perform.

Comment

As Maynard Solomon has indicated, there may be a sense in which deafness played a positive role in Beethoven’s creativity. We know that deafness did not impair and indeed may even have heightened his abilities as a composer, perhaps by its exclusion of piano virtuosity as a competing outlet for his creativity, perhaps by permitting a total concentration upon composition within a world of increasing auditory seclusion.
      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

I'm sure that's right, Fidelio. Still, even a first-rate inner ear ability is NOTHING compared to the actual, physical sonic impact.
        I have heard it said that some 'musicians' enjoy reading (and inner hearing) a score more than actually hearing it played. "Couilles" is my response in French, which would translate as an ox's reproductive parts. That can't be right though, as an ox by definition is a castrated bull, no?

Comment

Sorry if I'm offending anybody, it's my usual "decompression" after a long day. Please delete if necessary! Time for bed for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
            As Maynard Solomon has indicated, there may be a sense in which deafness played a positive role in Beethoven’s creativity. We know that deafness did not impair and indeed may even have heightened his abilities as a composer, perhaps by its exclusion of piano virtuosity as a competing outlet for his creativity, perhaps by permitting a total concentration upon composition within a world of increasing auditory seclusion.
            I am convinced that this is the case. Being able to hear audibly what you're thinking at the moment of musical creation can only distract from the pure inspirational process. The world LvB inhabited after social seclusion must have been as special as it was painful to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
              Still, even a first-rate inner ear ability is NOTHING compared to the actual, physical sonic impact.
              If you mean it terms of being able to write great music, then surely the case of Beethoven proves you wrong!

Comment

Working...
              X