Beethoven and counterpoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and counterpoint

As far as I can tell from the literature, Beethoven rarely spoke about the technical issues of composition (harmony, counterpoint, orchestration and so on ...).

Reading Alfred Mann, The Study of Fugue, Norton, New York 1965, p. 214, I came across this (from Beethoven's notes on the course of counterpoint studies he followed with Albrechtsberger):
    "Albrechtsberger told me today that there are some works by the old master Froberger in which the use of the fourth, even that occurring by inversion of the triad, is completely avoided [...]."

I can't tell you if Beethoven ever took this advice to heart, but I will certainly be looking out for any examples of it. Maybe in the Missa?
    Last edited by Quijote; 11-21-2012, 07:17 PM. Reason: Typos and spacing after punctuation

Can there be many Beethoven works that don't use 1st or 2nd inversions? Might be illuminating to listen to Froberger!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, in 3 or 4-part (or more ) strict counterpoint that might be a different matter.
      I don't know Froberger at all. You?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
        Well, in 3 or 4-part (or more ) strict counterpoint that might be a different matter.
        I don't know Froberger at all. You?
        Wasn't Margery Frobesher (alternative spelling) a character in 'To the manor born'? Don't recall her use of counterpoint though!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Haven't the foggiest what you're talking about, dear boy. See me after class for a good caning.

Comment

Haven't the foggiest what you're talking about, dear boy. See me after class for a good caning.
            Sitcom from the '80s with Penelope Keith - but you're right not much to do with Froberger, but my mind's been affected by teaser thinking.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Sitcom from the '80s with Penelope Keith - but you're right not much to do with Froberger, but my mind's been affected by teaser thinking.
              Ah, all is clear now, Blue Baron. Never saw that sitcom, but I do remember having a crush on Penelope Keith! Anyone with the name Penelope just melts my heart ...

Comment

And Helen Mirren !!! I've got a weak spot for good-looking, posh women with solid Biblical or ancient Greek names, I fear (e.g. Helen, Penelope, Rachel and, er ... Doreen).

Comment

Dare I say Beethoven suffered the same?
                  Oops, quick, call the men in white coats ...

Comment

Dare I mention that I've got one student (quite bright, quite good-looking, but French, therefore not a Brit posh type...) whose name is Marie Vanille ?
                    Imagine that, a woman called Mary Vanilla !!

Comment

Anyone with the name Penelope just melts my heart ...
                      Just for you, Phil:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Back to your original question - found any examples yet?
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                        X