What are you reading now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you reading now?

Just finished 'Hide and seek' by Stephen Walker - the remarkable true story of the Irish priest Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty who helped save allied soldiers and Jews whilst based at the vatican in WWII. The film 'Scarlet and the Black' (with Gregory Peck) also tells this story.
    'Man know thyself'

The Blue Nile, by Alan Moorehead. It is in part a geographic description of the Nile, in the style of a tour guide. And it also narrates the great adventures and events that took part in the past. Napoleon expedition to Egypt, for instance. He first wrote The White Nile.

Comment

The book of Psalms. I think I'm around Psalm 68 or so.
      For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

I've quite a few books on the Maestro to finish reading, but am a bit of an internet junkie these days. Reading about black olives! They are super good for you, full of iron, vitamin E and A. That jar in the cupboard may well be opened tomorrow. Mmmmmm...
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Thomas Merton -'The seven storey Mountain.'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization.
            by Professor Thomas E. Woods.
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              I've quite a few books on the Maestro to finish reading, but am a bit of an internet junkie these days. Reading about black olives! They are super good for you, full of iron, vitamin E and A. That jar in the cupboard may well be opened tomorrow. Mmmmmm...
              Good to know! And funny, I've been craving olives today.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Good to know! And funny, I've been craving olives today.

LOL...I am craving them almost every day! Had some of those black olives earlier- the rest are being tapanaded tommorrow! Been a bit squiffy with IBS this weekend, so not ate that much, feeling better now though.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

You all know how I am on finding books about my ancestors. So now I am reading two books on two of my ancestors who were also canonized as saints by the Vatican. One book is "The Life and Wisdom of Margaret of Scotland" which is about Queen (and Saint) Margaret of Scotland (my 29 times great grandmother). The other book is "The Babenburgs" which includes Margrave (and Saint) Leopold III Babenburg of Austria, my 26 times great grandfather).
                  "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                    You all know how I am on finding books about my ancestors. So now I am reading two books on two of my ancestors who were also canonized as saints by the Vatican. One book is "The Life and Wisdom of Margaret of Scotland" which is about Queen (and Saint) Margaret of Scotland (my 29 times great grandmother). The other book is "The Babenburgs" which includes Margrave (and Saint) Leopold III Babenburg of Austria, my 26 times great grandfather).
                    Nothing that exciting for me- I come from peasant stock!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                      Nothing that exciting for me- I come from peasant stock!
                      Just a few years ago I too thought the same about myself. It wasn't until I started to research my maternal grandmother's family that I discovered that one key ancestor who opened the European royal castle door to me, and that is my 10 times great grandfather Sir Oliver Cromwell (not the Lord Protector, but his uncle and name sake). Who knew?
                      "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Just started Eliot Gardiner's Bach biography - "Music in the Castle of heaven"
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

A fascinating and very informative book:
                          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Great cover Harvey - love the design!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	014w&p.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	106108

Michael and I were discussing elsewhere what the best edition of War & Peace would be.
                              I have finally decided on the fairly recent translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky . It is a very sympathetic and natural translation.
                              Pevear is very good at cultural equivanlences, that is at understanding what say a Russian expression really means and then not literally translating it which in English would probaby be gobbeldygook, but find the cultural equivalence of the expression in English. This is translation of a very high order. There are very good notes also.

1,260 odd pages. That should keep me quiet for quite sometime.
                              Last edited by Megan; 12-08-2014, 06:39 PM.
                              🎹

Comment

Working...
                              X