Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Correct Tempo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bLs80ber4[/YOUTUBE]

This piece is marked as Andante, 80 bpm. The demo seems a bit quicker than I play at present anyway. Does a piece have to be strictly played as marked or can 80bpm be between 76 and 108 ?
    🎹

Well Scarlatti didn't make those metronome markings! The speed of the clip seems about right and that should be your target, but don't play faster than you can manage at the moment - rhythmic accuracy and technical control are more important. Once those are mastered then gradually increase your speed up to the suggested marking - much slower than the clip would be rather ponderous.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Well Scarlatti didn't make those metronome markings! The speed of the clip seems about right and that should be your target, but don't play faster than you can manage at the moment - rhythmic accuracy and technical control are more important. Once those are mastered then gradually increase your speed up to the suggested marking - much slower than the clip would be rather ponderous.
      Thanks for your help and encouragement Peter, I'm wonder what Scarlatti's original metronome markings were.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Thanks for your help and encouragement Peter, I'm wonder what Scarlatti's original metronome markings were.
        No problem - A mechanical musical chronometer was invented by Dietrich Nikolaus Winkel in Amsterdam in 1814 and the metronome (incorporating Winkel's ideas) was patented by Maelzel in 1816 long after Scarlatti's death.

Beethoven was probably the first composer to make use of it in 1817.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

What a lovely piece. I must thank Megan for posting it, I can use that for my counterpoint course!! Really, it's ideal for me, I'm always on the look-out for material I can exploit for teaching purposes.

Comment

I'm also trying to wangle myself extra hours teaching ear-training, and this Scarlatti sonatina would be great for that.
            Last edited by Quijote; 02-09-2018, 07:41 PM.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzBVyCcd328[/YOUTUBE]

Another lovely tutorial piece I find easy to follow along while reading the music, Le Petit Rien. by Francios Couperin.

Hope you like it too , Quijote.
              🎹

Comment

Sure do! Thanks Megan, I'll be using that, too!

Comment

Working...
                X