Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    DANGEROUS -Milo Yiannopoulos

I'm wondering what you thought about this book. Milo is hugely popular, though I don't always agree with him. I don't have the book and haven't read it, but Milo is part of a movement which is pushing back against the regressive Left (a term coined by the excellent Maajid Nawaz). The scolds, nannies, thought police and moral preeners who finger wag and who only thinly disguise their hatred behind 'the mask of compassion' (adroitly defined by the planetary brain of Jordan Peterson). Milo and Professor Jordan Peterson are going to the UK as they have the same issues to deal with in universities, particularly with the "SJWs", as they're called. As Peterson says, "it only takes a couple of dogs to herd a lot of sheep".

Comment

At 1322 this afternoon I concluded my third reading of Robert Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight, book ten of The Wheel of Time. This is the volume I've, in previous readings, considered the series' weakest. I suppose I still do, though I believe I enjoyed it more this time round. For those who might not remember (or never knew) it covers the "progress" of several separate groups of people from soon before to not long after Rand's struggles to cleanse saidin at the climax of book nine, Winter's Heart. Crossroads is mostly plot development with no great battles or magic duels to speak of. As is so often the case in these mid series books, my favorite section was Mat's, near the end.

Next up, Knife of Dreams, in which Jordan largely redeems himself, producing the most exciting volumes in some time. It is also the final entry written before his death and the beginning of Brandon Sanderson's involvement with the concluding books. Leastwise I've considered it Jordan's redemption in the past. We'll see how it goes this time round.

Comment

At 1238 today I concluded my third reading of Robert Jordan's Knife of Dreams, book eleven of The Wheel of Time. This is Jordan's swansong, his final self-completed series entry prior to an untimely death. It's the volume that, during prior reads, I considered the series' recovery from what I then felt was a mid books slump. This time round I don't so much see those of middle books as lesser quality but rather a deliberate change in tone, less humorous and heroic than their predecessors. Knife merely returns us, to an extent, to the tone of early volume. Or so I now believe. (OK. Not so far as humor is considered. Knife remains pretty bleak.)

I like pretty much every sub-plot in Knife, Egwene - White Tower, Mat - Tuon and so on. As usual, Perrin - Faile held the least interest for me, and even it has its moments.

Next up, the first Jordan-Sanderson volume, The Gathering Storm. From here on out these will be second readings.

Comment

At 1251 today I finished my second reading of The Gathering Storm, book twelve of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, the first of the final three books Brandon Sanderson completed following Jordan's 2007 death. In his forward, Sanderson states that no one could write the book as well as Jordan himself could have. I was reminded of this time and time again while reading Storm, especially early on. That said, Sanderson does a commendable job. In particular his treatment of Egwene and the White Tower, a focal point of the book, does Jordan proud. Rand is, I think, quite well handled too, though by this stage he is so utterly transformed that comparisons with his former self are largely meaningless. On the other hand Aviendha's brief appearances, she receives almost no coverage here, don't ring true for me.

This book reinforces my newfound belief that the series does NOT slump in the middle but instead merely undergoes dramatic change in "tone." I in no way see this as a bad thing, though I can understand why some of those drawn to the series by the early books' heroics, sense of wonder, and humor might not appreciate what they later morphed into.

I will almost certainly begin book thirteen, Towers of Midnight, by day's end. I doubt I'll finish it before the turn of the year. If so, Storm will be my twenty-first and final completed read of 2017.

Comment

Gosh DP, you are an avid reader!

My current book is. Point Counter Point, by Aldous Huxley, I have decided to read a few more of his novels.
            🎹

Comment

​My year of reading - 2017:

This past year is a tough one for me to report on. First off, though as a retiree I've more time to read than in years past, and indeed devoted a fair amount of time to reading, it must be admitted that my thinking processes aren't what they once were, and I was never an overly fast thinker. In consequence, I completed a grand total of only twenty-one novel length books during 2017. Not shabby, but nothing to write home about.

My "favorite new read of the year" is, as occasionally happens, not fantasy but rather a factual book on an aspect of US politics. It shall remain nameless for fear of stirring up discussion of the sort rightly frowned on in this forum.

I read only one fantasy novel new to me last year, though it is by no means a newly published work: "Illusion" by Paula Volsky. It also happens to be the first book I completed in 2017. I enjoyed it, but not to the extent of considering it my "favorite new fantasy read of 2017," an honorific which will remain vacant due to lack of contenders.

My "best re-read of the year" is also a tough call. I re-read both "A Song of Ice and Fire" and "The Wheel of Time" this past year, not yet quite finishing WOT. I'm inclined to give the nod to Wheel, as I feel I've gotten more out of the books this time round than ever before, even changing my stance on its 'mid-books slump,' which as of this reading I no longer believe occurs.

My "disappointment of the year?" No outright winner here either, again due to lack of competition. The novel I enjoyed least was a third reading of Julian May's "The Many-Colored Land." But that's somewhat unfair, as I'm just not much into books with strong sci-fi elements, which Land has/is.

There you have it. I believe the above takes into account every book read during 2017, with the exception of one factual political work.

Comment

At 2102 this evening, 1 Jan 2018, I completed my second reading of the penultimate volume of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, Towers of Midnight. As with the preceding book, at times I felt Sanderson's handling of certain characters' speech and thoughts not quite in total sync with how I envision Jordan handling them. Despite that, I find Towers a strong series entry. Too, I do not know what writing is pure Sanderson, what pure Jordan, and what a combination of the two. It would be ironic indeed should I learn that the writing I find not quite Jordanesque enough is actually that of the master himself!

My favorite scenario in Towers might well be Aviendha's revelations at Rhuidean. I found Mat and the gang's "visit" to the Tower near book end a bit of a mixed bag. That said, one section of that excursion had my eyes misting, for me a sure sign of a great read.

I'll likely begin the series' final volume, A Memory of Light, shortly. Due to it being near bedtime, I doubt I'll get far before nodding off.

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                Gosh DP, you are an avid reader!
                I suppose I am, if a rather slow one. As if that matters

Comment

At 1501 today, 25 Feb 2018, I completed my second reading of A Memory of Light, final book in Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series. First read I felt it one of the series’ weaker entries, mostly due to what I saw as short-sheeted conclusions to some long standing plot lines. This time around I still consider it weak, but for a different reason. It now seems to me that many character have lost something of their unique colorful personalities, which Jordan was so good at depicting in those volumes he completed on his own. Be that as it may, I credit Sanderson with doing a satisfactory and often more than satisfactory job of wrapping things up in the three final books.

Took me nearly two months to read Memory. No good reason for that. Yeah, I was ill during part of that time, and hooked on a game for much of it. But I’ve been in those situations before and still been able to finish books in what I consider “reasonable” time for my slow reading pace.

I’ve tentatively started a re-reading of Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Earthsea Trilogy, reacquainting myself with the recently deceased author.

Comment

At 1712 today, at the tail end of supper, I finished my fifth reading of Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea, book one of The Earthsea Trilogy. Earthsea is one of first novels read following my conversion to fantasy in the mid 80's. I liked it then. I like it now. I will of course continue on with book two, The Tombs of Atuan.

Comment

At 1323 yesterday afternoon, 14 Mar 2018, I concluded my fifth reading of Ursula K. Le Guin's The Tombs of Atuan, book two of The Earthsea Trilogy. I'm already some way into the final volume, The Farthest Shore. A fine series, I'm glad to become acquainted with it again. (It's been nearly fourteen years since their last reading.)​

Comment

At 2323 yesterday evening I finished Ursula K. Le Guin's The Other Wind, bringing to an end this re-reading of her Earthsea books. My only recollection of Wind and its immediate predecessor, Tales From Earthsea, was the notion that they were not the equal of earlier Earthsea entries. I have a greater appreciation of them this time round. I feel more could have been told, carrying on where Wind leaves off, but with Ms Le Guin gone that possibility is denied us. Be that as it may, I'm glad to have been able to reacquaint myself with the series yet again.

I've begun reading John Marco's The Jackal of Nar, book one of his Tyrants and Kings, a series I do not possess in whole.

Comment

At 0312 Tuesday, 29 May, I concluded my tenth reading of David Eddings' Pawn of Prophecy, book one of The Belgariad. Looking over completion dates inside its cover I noticed each read ending in a different month, so that only Mar and Nov aren't represented. How odd as that? What are the odds my next two reads, assuming I live long enough for that, fill those gaps? Slim to none, in my estimation. I also noticed I read the two five-book series, Belgariad and Malloreon TWICE during 2001. Completion dates show I must have finished the final (tenth) book sometime near the end of July then immediately read Pawn of Prophecy again, completing it 30 Jul.

Need I say I'm already partway through book two, Queen of Sorcery?

(I suppose I should mention not being able to drum up enthusiasm to continue the Tyrants and Kings series after completing Jackal of Nar.

Comment

My reading list for the past weeks:

Joan of Arc, Mary Gordon

The Maid and the Queen, Nancy Goldstone

Saint Joan, George Bernard Shaw

Joan of Arc in Her Own Words

Joan of Arc, Her Story, Regine Pernoud & Marie-Veronique Clin

Joan, Donald Spoto (I am just a couple chapters into this one now)

I plan to read more on Joan of Arc and am listening to operas about her by Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Braunfels, and Honegger. Here story is absolutely amazing!
                            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

🎹

Comment

At 1448 yesterday afternoon I completed my third read of Jack Whyte's The Skystone, book one of his Camulod series. I'm now some pages into book two, The Singing Sword. The series is a telling of the Arthurian saga placed in a plausible historic setting. Book one begins several generations price to Arthur, in a still solidly Roman controlled Britain. Cracks in the Empire are beginning to show, but as yet almost no one notices them, or takes them seriously if they do. The book's main characters are among those few, and implement plans to survive and thrive once the inevitable, as they see it, occurs. Book two begins with Britain still in Roman hands, though deterioration has begun in earnest. The books are well written. I like them quite a lot. They are my go-to fiction for Arthur in a historic setting.

Comment

Working...
                                X