The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
Humoresque

Klaus Tennstedt

My research on Carlos Kleiber helped me to uncover Klaus Tennstedt, even though I had known this conductor by name for years. Kleiber told his correspondent Charles Barber than he had seen (on TV) Tennstedt conducting Mahler 1 and that he didn't usually 'like Mahler' but that he felt he could after hearing Tennstedt's version. Kleiber exclaimed, "now, a conductor I can admire"! Well, I feel the same way. In very many ways both conductors are similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2JjnB45D34

Tennstedt's greatest musical collaboration was with the LPO and this has been described as a 'mutual love affair'. Shambolic in organization, a chain-smoker, regular drinker and tempestuous to boot, Klaus Tennstedt suffered health problems for the last 15 years of his life - largely self-inflicted!! This may be of interest:

https://artmusiclounge.wordpress.com...aus-tennstedt/

There's also an audio interview made by BBC 4 in 1991 in the program "Desert Island Discs" which can be downloaded. I thoroughly recommend listening to it if you have an interest in this talented and highly intelligent musician!! Personally, and as is the case with Kleiber, I just adore that kind of intensity and intellect!! Tennstedt cut a curious figure on the podium, with anything from wiping his forehead with his sleeve, jumping and moving/twitching his whole body and his hair ending up plastered to his head from sweat. Absolutely love it!! Perhaps you have some favourite Tennstedt recordings?

Last edited by Humoresque; 05-30-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Typo Central
Humoresque is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: