The Beethoven Reference Site Forums  

Go Back   The Beethoven Reference Site Forums > General > Beethoven and Classical Music Discussion

Old 05-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #41
gprengel

Very good, Peter, how did you recognise the pieces? At least the second piece is rather unknown...but how beautiful!!!There is a rendition by Pablo Casals in YouTube - awesome!!
gprengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #42
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
Very good, Peter, how did you recognise the pieces? At least the second piece is rather unknown...but how beautiful!!!There is a rendition by Pablo Casals in YouTube - awesome!!
I'm better with instrumental music than choral. I knew they were both Schumann, but I couldn't recall at first what the 2nd one was, then I remembered the 5 folk pieces for 'cello which I have on an old LP coupled with the 'cello concerto.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #43
gprengel

How about these wonderful pieces? Who may have written these? Do you even know the works?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece8.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece9.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece10.mp3
Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #44
hal9000

Shostakovich? I know the first one definitely is. He's another one I need to explore, but like Peter said, a lifetime's not enough.
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #45
Peter
Administrator

Yes the first one is Shostakovich piano concerto 2 slow movt, I think the second one is Tchaikovsky, but I'm not sure what, it's not any of his symphonies. The 3rd piece sounds Russian even Tchaikovsky in parts, Glazunov?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #46
gprengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Yes the first one is Shostakovich piano concerto 2 slow movt, I think the second one is Tchaikovsky, but I'm not sure what, it's not any of his symphonies. The 3rd piece sounds Russian even Tchaikovsky in parts, Glazunov?
1) yes, Peter, you are right with the first one - how I love this wonderful Andante from Shostakovich's piano concerto 2! What a deep simplicity and beauty! Why didn't he wrote more works of this kind? Apart from this so far only parts of his 7th symphony and parts from his gorgous 'Gadfly' filmmusic could reach me in any way.

2) You are also right, of course, with the composer, but indeed it is a symphony! But unfortuneately Tchaikovsky abandoned it which should have become his 6th symphony and the material was used in his 3rd piano concerto instead. But it was reconstructed and today it is known as his 7th symphony. Of this I love the slow and the final movements so much, and I wonder why Tchaikovsky abandoned it. This is much better than the 3rd piano concerto.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCLKiZRfQ4

3) yes, indeed it is also Russian - the wonderful prelude of the opera Chowantschina from Mussorgsky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDquWRuskVI (listen to 2:06 - one of an absolute highlight of Russian music!!)

Last edited by gprengel; 05-27-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:02 AM   #47
Michael

Quote:
A lifetime isn't enough! I recall reading somewhere that even Yehudi Menuhin only first heard the last Beethoven quartets towards the end of his life.
That's amazing. I heard the late quartets (on recordings) when I was about 22 and had no knowledge of music beyond Elvis and the Beatles (and that is not to demean them!). But how could an artist of the caliber of Menuhin not have heard those transcendent works much earlier?

Anyway, well done, Peter, on identifying the gorgeous music presented by gprengel who should keep up the quizzes (if there's such a word). I need a push to draw me away from my musical drug, Beethoven.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #48
Peter
Administrator

Quote:
1) yes, Peter, you are right with the first one - how I love this wonderful Andante from Shostakovich's piano concerto 2! What a deep simplicity and beauty! Why didn't he wrote more works of this kind? Apart from this so far only parts of his 7th symphony and parts from his gorgous 'Gadfly' filmmusic could reach me in any way.

2) You are also right, of course, with the composer, but indeed it is a symphony! But unfortuneately Tchaikovsky abandoned it which should have become his 6th symphony and the material was used in his 3rd piano concerto instead. But it was reconstructed and today it is known as his 7th symphony. Of this I love the slow and the final movements so much, and I wonder why Tchaikovsky abandoned it. This is much better than the 3rd piano concerto.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCLKiZRfQ4

3) yes, indeed it is also Russian - the wonderful prelude of the opera Chowantschina from Mussorgsky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDquWRuskVI (listen to 2:06 - one of an absolute highlight of Russian music!!)
Thank you Gerd for introducing me to that wonderful Mussorgsky prelude - a real gem. I knew about Tchaikovsky's abandoned symphony but haven't heard it, the first movt is definitely the weakest part, but I particularly like the 2nd movt.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #49
gprengel

Quote:
Thank you Gerd for introducing me to that wonderful Mussorgsky prelude - a real gem.
Yes, Peter, definitely a gem, but also the interlude (a funeral march) and the heartbreaking dying of the Christian martyrs is very moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqP7IR_8CEM ( 2:35:00 - 2:38:20, 2:48:00 - 2:52, 3:13:30 - )

Last edited by gprengel; 05-27-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #50
gprengel

Here some more beautiful works for our quiz. To guess the composer of the first 2 works should not be too difficult, but the pieces?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece11.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece12.mp3 (so awesome, especially the second half!)

www.gerdprengel.de/piece13.mp3 (one of my favourite violin concertos)

Enjoy!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #51
Humoresque

Quote:
Here some more beautiful works for our quiz. To guess the composer of the first 2 works should not be too difficult, but the pieces?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece11.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece12.mp3 (so awesome, especially the second half!)

www.gerdprengel.de/piece13.mp3 (one of my favourite violin concertos)

Enjoy!
I'm thinking Example 1 and 2 are both Dvorak; a movement from a symphony and another from a String Serenade. You've lost me on the third item, I'm afraid. Fritz Kreisler? It sounds a bit derivative.

Last edited by Humoresque; 06-09-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Humoresque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #52
Peter
Administrator

The first one is the Larghetto from Dvorak's string quintet Op.97 and I think the 2nd is Sibelius Karelia suite. The last is unknown to me, but I'd take a guess at Wieniawski. Second thoughts I think it's Saint-Saens, but I'm not sure which concerto.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #53
gprengel

Peter, of course you are right with the first 2 works - very good as always!
The last one is indeed the great Violin Concerto No 3 by Saint Saents which is one of my most beloved concertos, listen also to the melodious slow movement at 9:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-gCf0nmDH8

my favourite parts are however 3rd movement's passages at 23:30 and 28:50 !
Old 06-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #54
Peter
Administrator

Lightbulb

Quote:
Peter, of course you are right with the first 2 works - very good as always!
The last one is indeed the great Violin Concerto No 3 by Saint Saents which is one of my most beloved concertos, listen also to the melodious slow movement at 9:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-gCf0nmDH8

my favourite parts are however 3rd movement's passages at 23:30 and 28:50 !
Thanks for that Gerd - I'm only really familiar with his 2nd piano concerto and the 'cello concerto which I adore. Also his symphonies (aside from the well known no.3) contain some fine music and should be performed more often.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #55
gprengel

Quote:
Thanks for that Gerd - I'm only really familiar with his 2nd piano concerto and the 'cello concerto which I adore. ...
Peter, when you like the 2nd piano concerto, then please listen to his 5th which I think is much, much more beautilful - actually for me one of the 7 best piano Concertos of the Romantic period!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6nSa6UDiKc , with especially 14:50 - 18:00 ... being my favourite part!!

Last edited by gprengel; 06-11-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: