BBC Proms: Ninth Symphony and Fidelio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Proms: Ninth Symphony and Fidelio

For those who can get BBC 4, the following programme is on tonight (Sunday 30th July) from 7.30 to 11.30:

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony followed by "Fidelio".

I'm not sure if it's a live broadcast because the date given in the BBC online information is 21st July, so it's most likely a recording.

Last edited by Michael; 07-30-2017, 01:10 PM.

It isn't entirely clear but I think the 9th is live and Fidelio is a recording.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      It isn't entirely clear but I think the 9th is live and Fidelio is a recording.
      Right. And it must be a "concert" staging of "Fidelio". I can't see them building a prison wall inside the Albert Hall.

Comment

I didn't want to start another thread but I've just watched a performance of the Eroica symphony by the Aurora Orchestra as part of this years Proms. This was performed entirely from memory; neither the conductor nor any member of the orchestra had a note of music in front of them.

Visually (and aurally) it was astounding. Every musician appeared to be totally absorbed in the music and it was (to me anyway) flawless.
        Also, practically all of the musicians were standing throughout the work.
        (Obviously the cellos, basses and timpanists were excused.)
        It was like watching a rock band or a jazz combo (and I mean that as a compliment!)

The performance was preceded by a talk given by Tom Service with help from the orchestra and the audience.
        It was broadcast around 7.30pm yesterday and I spotted it at the last moment and managed to record it.

Last edited by Michael; 08-19-2017, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X