This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
    Got to admit I had never heard of Jan "Dismal" Zelenka but this is a pierce that rocks! Enjoy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ckGcpx6xI
    Also enjoying the Byrd. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Also enjoying the Byrd. Thanks!
      Last week I was listening to various Bruckner choral pieces and I cannot help but notice how similar those are to what I am listening to now, at least in sense of overall effect.

Comment

Now I'm enjoying the Byrd too. A happy accident!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Now I'm enjoying the Byrd too. A happy accident!
          Me too, it is lovely! :P
          🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Yes Zelenka was quite a discovery for me too earlier this year, anything but dismal! The Byrd link you posted was also sublime, thanks!
            Glad you liked that. We had to analyse it for my O-Level music exam (too many) years ago. I note now that the piece is replete with seemingly "false relations", e.g. bar 2, F# in the soprano and F-natural in the bass in the following minim...
            But we know the rules for this, don't we? Do we care? Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              I'm enjoying this, also, thank you! Good to see you are still around!
              Good to see too Sorrano that you're still kicking around on the BRS!

Comment

Mozart: 6 Quartets dedicated to Haydn/Guarneri Quartet (2nd/Phillips edition).
                Zevy

Comment

Haydn symphony no.39 in G minor.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listened to a number of Beethoven piano sonata performances at YouTube, highlights being Pollini's No.11 Op.22 and Viviana Sofronitsky filmed in concert playing the "Moonlight" on a McNulty reproduction of a Anton Walter fortepiano. I find it very listenable from start to finish. Is it just me or is the opening movement Don Giovanni connection particularly apparent here?

Comment

Listening right now to this splendid baroque concert from soloists of Musiciens du Louvre, Grenoble, playing Bach, Biber and Zelenka. I used some of this performance for a lecture on the basso continuo this year. The Zelenka is the final offering and starts at circa 55min, after a brief talk from one of the musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXg0kzmmqSo

"The Spectator" ran an article about Zelenka on 27 July, 2013 entitled, "Why Has Nobody Heard of the Miraculous Czech Composer Zelenka?".

The Biber, of course, is eternally wonderful!!

Comment

I've been listening to some Victoria.

Requiem
                        Missa O magnum mysterium
                        Missa O quam gloriosum
                        O Sacrum Convivium

Wonderful music!

I've also taken another trip though Bach's Brandenburg concertos. Pinnock's recordings remain my favorite, I think.

Comment

I've been listening to Liszt's Dante Symphony. The first movement, "Inferno", sounded like hell.

Comment

Bach, "St. Matthew Passion" and especially repeated listening to this astonishing aria, 'Erbame dich, mein Gott', from the Academy for Old Music, Berlin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMqNUbiWyw

Last year a friend in our music group presented a 2.5 hour program on the "St. Matthew Passion" - the one from the Berliner Philharmoniker, produced through the Digital Concert Hall and later released on DVD. When my friend landed on this aria I dissolved into tears, feeling absolutely embarrassed!! It's the ultimate plea for forgiveness. Never before have I appreciated just how effecting and theatrical this work really is until I saw its dramatic realization. This was the Peter Sellars 'dramatization', which is recommended. Though there are some cloying elements to the choral representations, with annoying hand gestures, the performance is mostly very moving.
                            Last edited by Humoresque; 01-14-2017, 10:53 PM. Reason: Italics

Comment

Mozart: Quintet for Piano & Winds / Murray Perahia, Members of the English Chamber Orchestra
                              Mozart: Clarinet Concerto Sabine Meyer/Staatskapelle Dresden/Hans Vonk
                              Beethoven: Quintet for Piano & Winds / Murray Perahia, Members of the English Chamber Orchestra
                              Beethoven: Symphony #7 Carlos Kleiber / Weiner Philharmoniker
                              Schubert: Symphony #5 Pablo Casals / Prades Festival Orchestra

>>It was a long trip, but the music made it fun!<<
                              Zevy

Comment

Mozart Symphony #40 in G minor
                                Bernstein / NYP
                                Zevy

Comment

Working...
                                X