Composition Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composition Quiz

After having taken a longer break I orchestrated again a certain wonderful piece of a well known composer - do you guess the composer or even the original piece?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece.mp3

Gerd
    Last edited by gprengel; 05-01-2017, 12:14 AM.

Hello Gerd - it's J.S.Bach, the G minor fugue from Book 1.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Hello Gerd - it's J.S.Bach, the G minor fugue from Book 1.
      no, Peter, it is not by Bach ;-)

Comment

Oops I'm slipping up in my middle age and not paying enough attention! - it just reminded me of that piece, try listening to the Bach G minor and you'll see what I mean. I'll have a rethink with a bit more care this time.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oops I'm slipping up in my middle age and not paying enough attention! - it just reminded me of that piece, try listening to the Bach G minor and you'll see what I mean. I'll have a rethink with a bit more care this time.
          I did listen to the Bach fugue, and indeed in the beginning there are similiarities, but but the piece I refer to is much longer. And the gorgeous climax in the ending is unlike any Bach fugue

Comment

Ah I think I have it - Mendelssohn E minor fugue Op.35.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, very good, Peter, this wonderful work written by Mendelssohn at an incredible age of 18 in 1827!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ahTuRzV6CI at 2:10

Does the theme at 5:02 ff. remind you of a main theme of a Beethoven overture? This gave me the impuls to do an orchestration of this work (and of course because of the awesome choral in the end)

Here is my score: http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh..._35-1_orch.pdf
              Last edited by gprengel; 05-01-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

That's a great piece and a great orchestration. Never heard it before.

Originally posted by gprengel View Post

Does the theme at 5:02 ff. remind you of a main theme of a Beethoven overture?

Op. 124?

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                  That's a great piece and a great orchestration. Never heard it before.

Op. 124?
                  I am glad that you like it and it's a new discovery for you! Actually ALL of the Preludes and Fugues of Mendelssohns op. 35 are true gems!! Check them at YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M94SjeiupEU

Yes, I think it's very similiar to Beethoven's Consecration of the House overture, isn't it?
                  It is always said that Beethoven himself was inspired by Handel for this theme, but I don't know of a similiar Handel theme. Instead I find a striking similiarity to Bach's BV956: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDDTdjRpDA

Comment

May I continue with my quiz? This month I discovered such a beautiful (but rather unknown) chorus with orchestra that I edited it into my notation system just to study especially the rich handling of the woodwinds. Do you recognize the composer?
                    This piece is part of a larger work.

www.gerdprengel.de/piece2.mp3

Gerd

Comment

It sounds like Brahms, similar to his Schicksalslied. I'm probably wrong!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

It sounds like Brahms, similar to his Schicksalslied. I'm probably wrong!
                        No, it's not Brahms. You should recognise the composer by listening to the original (not best soundquality):

http://www.gerdprengel.de/piece2-original.mp3

Comment

Mendelssohn?
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

If that's not Mozart, I don't know what is.

Edit - Having listened to it again, I change my answer to Brahms, even though you said it wasn't.
                            Last edited by hal9000; 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

a little help: it was written in the first quarter of the 19th century ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X