No announcement yet.

Composition Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They could have made the questions a bit simpler - like "who wrote Beethoven's Fifth?"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I'll stick my neck out again and go for Mendelssohn for the first one. You're certainly finding some gems Gerd (please keep them coming), lovely piece whoever wrote it!
      Yes, Peter, very good, this can be only Mendelssohn! It belongs to the Oratorio Christus on which Mendelssohn was working shortly before his death, so only a few pieces were finished - but it is soooo moving and beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjcUTtnfST8 (here only second part)

Good, that you appreciate my "gems" :-)

Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
        Yes, Peter, very good, this can be only Mendelssohn! It belongs to the Oratorio Christus on which Mendelssohn was working shortly before his death, so only a few pieces were finished - but it is soooo moving and beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjcUTtnfST8 (here only second part)

Good, that you appreciate my "gems" :-)

Gerd
        Isn't it extraordinary how so much of Mendelssohn's choral music is unknown? I've been listening to his wonderful Chorale cantatas for choir and orchestra.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Isn't it extraordinary how so much of Mendelssohn's choral music is unknown? I've been listening to his wonderful Chorale cantatas for choir and orchestra.
          Oh yes, these Choral cantatas are so beautiful! Also the Psalms and various
          a capella chorusses. I have a box of 10 CDs all of his spiritual music (without the oratorios). Most of these belong to my favourite music.

Comment

Here I have 2 pearls which I discovered not too long ago. I can't tell you how much I love these so intimate examples of chamber music mastery. Who may have written them?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece6.mp3
            www.gerdprengel.de/piece7.mp3

Comment

Brahms?

Comment

Here I have 2 pearls which I discovered not too long ago. I can't tell you how much I love these so intimate examples of chamber music mastery. Who may have written them?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece6.mp3
                www.gerdprengel.de/piece7.mp3
                The first one is 3rd movt of Schumann's violin sonata no.2. Not sure yet about the other one.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Got it! Schumann again, the 2nd of his 5 pieces for 'cello in folk style.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

There's so much music I have yet to discover.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                      There's so much music I have yet to discover.
                      A lifetime isn't enough! I recall reading somewhere that even Yehudi Menuhin only first heard the last Beethoven quartets towards the end of his life.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very good, Peter, how did you recognise the pieces? At least the second piece is rather unknown...but how beautiful!!!There is a rendition by Pablo Casals in YouTube - awesome!!

Comment

Very good, Peter, how did you recognise the pieces? At least the second piece is rather unknown...but how beautiful!!!There is a rendition by Pablo Casals in YouTube - awesome!!
                          I'm better with instrumental music than choral. I knew they were both Schumann, but I couldn't recall at first what the 2nd one was, then I remembered the 5 folk pieces for 'cello which I have on an old LP coupled with the 'cello concerto.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

How about these wonderful pieces? Who may have written these? Do you even know the works?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece8.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece9.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/piece10.mp3

Comment

Shostakovich? I know the first one definitely is. He's another one I need to explore, but like Peter said, a lifetime's not enough.

Comment

Yes the first one is Shostakovich piano concerto 2 slow movt, I think the second one is Tchaikovsky, but I'm not sure what, it's not any of his symphonies. The 3rd piece sounds Russian even Tchaikovsky in parts, Glazunov?
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X