The critics and Bruckner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The critics and Bruckner

This article mirrors my own feelings about this composer's symphonies, along with those of Mahler, except that I couldn't have written them more eloquently. When reading, just ignore the gratuitous references to US politics:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/a...c-reviews&_r=0

Well there's no denying that Bruckner and Mahler are not easy composers to get into and they generally provoke a reaction of either love or hate. I was a late a convert to Bruckner - I think like all music it is a personal thing that makes us respond to some composers and not to others. Just consider the remarks 19th century composers made about each other!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The critics reminded me of Edward Hanslick. A lot of people have a hard time with the music of Bruckner, especially in this fast paced day and age where people tend to seek quick and easy gratification. It takes some patience and time to get a good feel for a Bruckner Symphony and what it is he is trying to express.

Comment

I've been reading about Hanslick in Swafford's Brahms biography. Not so universally loved, but certainly wielding a lot of power.

I've always felt that Bruckner suits the zeitgeist; where big is better - cars, houses, cinemas, rock concerts, Andre Rieu spectacles and Mahler and Bruckner symphonies!! You know it makes sense!!

Comment

Working...
        X