Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linguistic doubt.

There is, in Argentina, a word with the following meaning:
    carcaman: colloquial derogatory That he is old and has bad temper.
    "As time went by he has become a carcaman, he screams and protests without cause".

What is an English equivalent for it?
    Last edited by Enrique; 08-15-2020, 11:10 PM.

In Howard Pyle's Robin Hood there is a part in which Robin Hood meets Little John. They stand upon opposing sides of a narrow bridge over the river boasting to each other of their strengths, etc. One says to the other, (and I think this describes what you are trying to say) "Thou pratest like an ass." Prate is to talk "foolishly or at tedious length about something" (Oxford Dictionary).

Comment

No, this guy is not stupid at all, he could be considered a clever man. But he employs an important part of his time protesting against things which have no real importance. This is an example (stf92 is me). How would you call a guy like this using slang, Sorrano?

Comment

Based on what I see in the forum link the correct term to use is "pedantic". If the person repeats this behavior, then he is an "ass". Pedantic is a state of being; "Didier Spaier was being pedantic in the post." It isn't a kind word, however, but not too harsh, I don't think. Not sure if that helps much. Maybe "pendante" is a good translation?

Comment

I think I've found the word I was looking for! Just give me a slang term for "ranter".

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
            I think I've found the word I was looking for! Just give me a slang term for "ranter".
            I can't think of a better word to use than "ranter". I think that is the word you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
              I can't think of a better word to use than "ranter". I think that is the word you want.
              So, does this sound as a thing an American could say?: "This ranter old man is getting me tired".

Comment

Better said, "I'm getting tired of this ranting old man". If you want to be mean you can say "geezer" in place of "old man".

Comment

Better said, "I'm getting tired of this ranting old man". If you want to be mean you can say "geezer" in place of "old man".
                  I see. But I want the sentence to begin with "This ranting old man".

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                    I see. But I want the sentence to begin with "This ranting old man".
                    Me di cuenta hoy que el refiere a la persona como "un viejo" realmente no se traduce. Puede usar "old" pero en referencia a otro sustantivo, pro ejemplo, puede decir, "This old jerk" o "this old ranting jerk". Pero, pienso que tiene mas esfuerza decir algo asi, "I am getting sick and tired of this old jerk's rants." Pero el usar "old" puede comenzar una platica acerca de edad, que se toma literalmente. "JerK' es una palabra que se entiende bien y es muy comun en los foros.

"This jerk is getting to me tired with his rants." (eso es debil)
                    "This ranting jerk is getting me tired." (un poco mas fuerte)
                    "This jerk is making me sick and tired of all his rants!" (mas fuerte)

Espero que le ayuda algo.

Comment

Me di cuenta hoy que el refiere a la persona como "un viejo" realmente no se traduce. Puede usar "old" pero en referencia a otro sustantivo, pro ejemplo, puede decir, "This old jerk" o "this old ranting jerk". Pero, pienso que tiene mas esfuerza decir algo asi, "I am getting sick and tired of this old jerk's rants." Pero el usar "old" puede comenzar una platica acerca de edad, que se toma literalmente. "JerK' es una palabra que se entiende bien y es muy comun en los foros.

"This jerk is getting to me tired with his rants." (eso es debil)
                      "This ranting jerk is getting me tired." (un poco mas fuerte)
                      "This jerk is making me sick and tired of all his rants!" (mas fuerte)

Espero que le ayuda algo.
                      I would choose "This ranting jerk is getting me tired." But suppose I say "This ranting jerk is ALREADY getting me tired". Would it be idiomatic?
                      Last edited by Enrique; 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

If you put your condition first you will add strength to the statement: "I am sick and tired of this ranting jerk!" One way to convey the message in a common idiom is, "This ranting jerk has driven me nuts!" It's similar to "me tiene podrido" in it's sense (sentido). If I think of anything else I will post again in the morning (it's night time here now).

Comment

Well, at last, I pressed the 'Report' button and sent them the following: "This ranting jerk is getting me tired. Please do something about it". Thanks a lot, Sorrano, for the interest you have shown on this matter. I had watched a movie with Vittorio Gassman and Elizabeth Taylor, from the 1950s, and there she speaks English with a very clear pronunciation. Remembering that, I am now watching one with her and Richard Burton from 1963. She is a little older but still speaks in a way a non-native English speaker can understand. And I am using the movie as an exercise book, that is to improve my oral English (the movie belongs to the epic genre, which is ideal in that sense).

Comment

You are welcome! Not sure I did much, though.

Comment

Working...
                            X