Linguistic doubt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
    But, wait a moment, please. According to that definition, what is that that is lost in translation? The thing translated or the translator?
    It's the words or phrases being translated, not the person doing the translating.
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

On translation.

There is a corner of YouTube known as BookTube (and a related/overlapping corner called AuthorTube). A good many of its channels belong to younglings, chiefly concerned with relatively recent releases, some channels heavily into YA. (I'm not implying that there is anything amiss with that whatsoever. I subscribe to one youngling.) That said, my hands-down favorite BookTuber is an older gentleman who makes his living writing about books on demand. He's extraordinarily well-read, and reads at a speed I find incomprehensible. Early this year he began taking us through his huge Penguin Classics collection, discussing each in some detail. The subject of translation is often addressed. I can't readily find one of the several Penguin videos in which translation it discussed at length, so settled on his most recent Penguin episode (as of today) in which he reads from three different translations of Beowulf; two Penguin, one Norton. The matter of translation is definitely addressed here, if in less depth than the video I hoped to find.

Your Daily Penguin Classics: Beowulf (YouTube video)
      [Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElypDfpWxsE[/Youtube]

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
        It's the words or phrases being translated, not the person doing the translating.
        Thanks. I got confused with your definition. I'll tell you this: a definition can never begin with the word "when".

Comment

Working...
        X