Free course on The Enlightenment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free course on The Enlightenment

The Enlightenment consisted, in essence, of the belief that the expansion of knowledge, the application of reason, and dedication to scientific method would result in the greater progress and happiness of humankind. The Enlightenment outlook was buoyant, reformist and humanitarian. The archetypal Enlightenment thinker was confident that the world is ultimately both rational and beneficent, that nature, including humanity, is essentially good or at least not innately depraved, and that people have the potential to improve themselves and their environment and to make the world a better place.The Enlightenment consisted, in essence, of the belief that the expansion of knowledge, the application of reason, and dedication to scientific method would result in the greater progress and happiness of humankind. The Enlightenment outlook was buoyant, reformist and humanitarian. The archetypal Enlightenment thinker was confident that the world is ultimately both rational and beneficent, that nature, including humanity, is essentially good or at least not innately depraved, and that people have the potential to improve themselves and their environment and to make the world a better place.
    I have started this free course! This is of great interest to me- of course this movement was one of which Beethoven was familiar with. His time period is so interesting.

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/histor...tent-section-0
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Enjoy the course, though I would contend that most of the world's present problems can be traced back to the Enlightenment!

Comment

The so called enlightenment has almost nothing to do with reason and rationality and everything to do with power and a small clique obtaining power for their own ends to manipulate society and other human beings.
      The French Revolution and Russian Revolution was founded on the enlightenment. Robes Pierre, Lenin, Mao and Pol Pot all regarded themselves as enlightenment figures.
      The enlightenment has almost nothing to say about the critical area of values in society.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I don't think I quite agree with you both, but I shall make a post about this when I have finished the course.

All I will say is that the French Revolution had to happen- the population was starving and desperate.

The elite of today better watch out- people can only take so much. History can repeat itself.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
        X