Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing without looking

My learning curve.
    Although I can play some pieces by memory with ease looking at the keys, my piano tutor gave me a sneaky exercise and covered over the keys and asked me to play blind as it were. I found this exercise very instructive because it made me really think about the sounds of the notes and position of fingering and then reproducing that myself. I didn't get it all note perfect though, but I found it to be a beneficial exercise.
    Last edited by Megan; 05-09-2015, 07:43 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Yes it is good to play as much as possible at times without looking at keys to develop aural awareness and keyboard confidence - just as blind pianists have to. Try playing some scales without looking, then some arpeggios - hard at first but you'll improve!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, thanks Peter, I've been doing C major contrary motion and F major scale double octaves without looking. I like doing contrary scales and I quite enjoy doing broken chords. I'm not so hot on arpeggios yet though, I don't know why.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Organists have to learn to play pedals without looking, as well. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Yes, and I am amazed every time I hit the correct pedal after a sizable jump from the last one. Which definitely does not always happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Yes, and that always looks very complicated to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              Yes, and that always looks very complicated to me.
              Peter has some sound advice (sorry for the pun) and maybe I should be doing that, as well. Seems, though, that whenever I am practicing and start thinking about whether I am looking at the keys or not I tend to struggle more. Starting early helps it to be more natural so that you don't have to think about it.

Comment

I used to be a typist and still type without looking. So I'm thinking it is kind of similar in a way, learning keys without looking, but of course on the piano the keys are a bit of a stretch. Maybe in time I shall master it.

Comment

Working...
                X