Films begging to be made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films begging to be made

Don't you often sit there wishing that a film would be made on......( add your own...)? I do, and I have such a vivid imagination I can picture it.

My list of films begging to be made:

Percy Bysshe Shelley ( about him and his life/work)
    The Stone and The Flute, a novel by Hans Bemmann
    The Bronte Sisters ( about them and their lives/work)
    Robert Burns ( about him and his life/work)

I'm sure I've got more; I'll add them as I think of them.

What's your list?
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Byron
    Charles 1st.
    Vivaldi
    Simon de Montfort and Henry III
    Last edited by Megan; 04-29-2015, 06:36 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

A decent film about Beethoven - why is it that virtually every film about composers is badly done? Just think of that dreadful Liszt thing with Dirk Bogarde, was it 'Song without end?' or the awful sentimental attempts at portraying Chopin!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        A decent film about Beethoven - why is it that virtually every film about composers is badly done? Just think of that dreadful Liszt thing with Dirk Bogarde, was it 'Song without end?' or the awful sentimental attempts at portraying Chopin!
        There has been one very good film about Beethoven- Beethoven Lives Upstairs. Made for children but the best of the lot! Eroica wasn't bad either.

But yes, most films about composers are not very good.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

What does everyone think of the BBC's "The Genius of Beethoven", part one linked here. Yes, I know it's a television documentary rather than a theatrically released movie. Still, it's a fine representation of the master's life. Sadly, last time I checked it's still not available on disk in America.

I'm also quite partial to "Amadeus". It's frowned on in some circles for not being a truthful rendering of the composer. That doesn't bother me in the least since it never intended to be a realistic portrayal.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Song of Norway wasn't too bad. The music was great, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
              What does everyone think of the BBC's "The Genius of Beethoven", part one linked here. Yes, I know it's a television documentary rather than a theatrically released movie. Still, it's a fine representation of the master's life. Sadly, last time I checked it's still not available on disk in America.

I'm also quite partial to "Amadeus". It's frowned on in some circles for not being a truthful rendering of the composer. That doesn't bother me in the least since it never intended to be a realistic portrayal.
              I have watched The Genius of Beethoven a few times on you tube. I think Paul Rhys is a very good actor, and at times he had some facial resemblance to Beethoven- but as he is very tall and Beethoven wasn't, he wasn't convincing enough. Also, he played our dear Maestro as very morose and with little humour- which isn't accurate. Beethoven did have a sense of humour, and wasn't morose all the time. The music was good though- played by Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano. If you haven't seen Beethoven Lives Upstairs- check it out on you tube- Neil Monro had quite a resemblance ( not too tall either!) to the older Beethoven and I feel he captured his character well.

I too, like Amadeus- I don't know a lot about Mozart's character, but from what I've read he was a funny man, liked jokes etc and Tom Hulce brings that out. I think it is Salieri who comes off worse in the film ( not accurate) but he is also amusing with the insults he gives Mozart when telling the priest how he viewed Mozart. And Constanze isn't portrayed that well either.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
              X