Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double-Blind Violin Test: Can You Pick The Strad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double-Blind Violin Test: Can You Pick The Strad?

In the world of violins, the names Stradivari and Guarneri are sacred. For three centuries, violin-makers and scientists have studied the instruments made by these Italian craftsmen. So far no one has figured out what makes their sound different. But a new study now suggests maybe they aren't so different after all.

OK, here's a test. Clip one is a musical phrase from Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Major. Clip two is the same phrase. The same musician plays both. But one is on a Stradivarius violin, the other on a violin made in 1980. See if you can tell the difference.
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptiveca...ad?sc=fb&cc=fp

Take the test!

I got it right. I could tell!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

I also got it right. I thought I could tell, but could I really? It would have been interesting if they had samples from all the violins in the test.

Comment

The Stradivarius sounds richer- was obvious to me lol.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Interesting. I at first wasn't gonna take the test with my hearing like it is. But curiosity got the better of me. I listened to both samples twice through. I had no idea which were what instrument, but knew which I liked best. It is the Strad. Go figure.

Comment

Also, whether the audio files were compressed is a major factor, as is the equipment on which you are listening. If you are listening through standard PC speakers, you can't trust too much.

For that matter, how these instruments were recorded is a major factor as well.

Comment

Working...
          X