Constructing scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constructing scales

Is there a good guide for understanding how to construct major scales please, need help.
    Thanks.
    🎹

Nothing much to it! Start at a note and then go up until you hit the same note an octave higher. Make a half step in between the third and fourth notes and another half step in between the seventh and eighth notes. Make whole steps in between all the other notes.

So a major scale goes like this:

Code:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
     W W H W W W H
    So let's say we're starting on the note G.

The first note will of course be G.
    Then we have to go a whole step to the second note, A.
    Then another whole step to the third note, B.
    Then a half step to the fourth note, C.
    Then a whole step to the fifth note, D.
    Then another whole step to the sixth note, E.
    Then another whole step to the seventh note, F#.
    Then a half step to the eighth and final note, G.

Comment

Chris is obviously correct (except he meant half step for the last interval), but in the UK we refer to steps as Tones and half steps as Semitones. The easy way is simply to remember the semitones come between 3/4 and 7/8 - the other intervals are all tones.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you Chris, that worked out so clearly for me also the F major which I was also working on. It's a great feeling when the penny drops.

What is the formula for the minor scales?
        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Chris is obviously correct (except he meant half step for the last interval), but in the UK we refer to steps as Tones and half steps as Semitones. The easy way is simply to remember the semitones come between 3/4 and 7/8 - the other intervals are all tones.
          Thanks Peter, I Yes I thought it was half a step on the 7th note for the F#
          🎹

Comment

I tend to find them by ear when I toodle about - but I ought to look at scales more formally!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              Thank you Chris, that worked out so clearly for me also the F major which I was also working on. It's a great feeling when the penny drops.

Well, there are three different types of minor scales. The simplest is the natural minor. The only difference from the major is where the half steps come in. For the natural minor, they are between 2/3 and and 5/6. So:

Code:
              1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
               W H W W H W W

Comment

Thanks Peter, I Yes I thought it was half a step on the 7th note for the F#
                I looked all around for what you two were talking about, and I finally realized you meant in the example! Sorry about that. I fixed it.

Comment

It is a very good example, Chris. I was reading it from a book but the example you presented made it so much clearer. I'll have to get my head round the minors at too at some point.
                  It is all part of my homework. I had to do E major contrary scale for two octaves with sharps F G C D.
                  I was pleased to work it out by myself. Beginners stuff I know, but all very necessary.
                  When my tutor is here he will obviously demonstrate, but then when he's gone there's bits I forget. He knows my pace. But it feels good when I have worked it out.
                  Last edited by Megan; 01-18-2015, 05:35 AM.
                  🎹

Comment

The Harmonic minor scale is the first usually taught and it has semitones between 2/3 5/6 and 7/8 - it has a larger step between 6/7 Tone + semitone.

Really the best way to learn these is to learn the Key-signatures and the Circle of 5ths - just remember all harmonic minor scales have a sharpened 7th which doesn't show in the key signature.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                    X