No announcement yet.

Beethoven sheet music question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, there are no real pipes on the one I usually play. But it is an extremely nice console, a Rodgers. I'm sure it cost over $100,000, and it is wonderful to play.
    How can an organ not have pipes? I thought even the little ones do- the type my Grandad had- there was a bellow thing that one pushed with the foot and some knob things you pulled out. I wish I had a photo of it.

Then I'm sure you could learn the notes on the staff almost as quickly!
    No that is harder! There are 2 cleffs and many positions those dots sit on the lines! Makes my eyes go all googly sometimes LOL.

I think writing them in is perfectly fine when you are just starting out, but I bet you would get the hang of doing without that much faster than you think.
    Well I am starting out really! I write in ones I don't know immediately, and little by little I will have less to write in, well in theory- there are some notes at the higher and lower end of the keyboard I have never had in my beginner's sheet music!

By the way I still had trouble playing those notes that sit on top of the others in the sonata.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
      How can an organ not have pipes? I thought even the little ones do- the type my Grandad had- there was a bellow thing that one pushed with the foot and some knob things you pulled out. I wish I had a photo of it.
      The sound is electronically generated and comes out of speakers that are hidden around the church.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        The sound is electronically generated and comes out of speakers that are hidden around the church.
        Oh it is an electronic one! My brother used to have a 2 tiered Hammond type one.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Oh it is an electronic one! My brother used to have a 2 tiered Hammond type one.
          It emulates the sounds made by pipes. Hammond organs were very different, creating their sounds with tonewheels. They are very cool instruments, but I think of them more as home instruments and jazz/rock instruments rather than something that would be in a church, although I know they were used in smaller churches.

Comment

Speaking of inexpensive lessons, there is a youngish lady who provides, amongst other things musical, a beginners piano course at YouTube. I don't necessarily endorse her, not knowing enough about piano fundamentals to judge the quality of her methods. That said, I watched nine of her ten video lessons. Much she covers seems very basic, but she touches on some of your questions in the later sessions. Might be worth a look-see. Here's a link to lessons one and two. WARNING: She hawks her accompanying lesson book at the start of each video.
            Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 01-02-2015, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              It emulates the sounds made by pipes. Hammond organs were very different, creating their sounds with tonewheels. They are very cool instruments, but I think of them more as home instruments and jazz/rock instruments rather than something that would be in a church, although I know they were used in smaller churches.
              Hammonds were originally designed for churches in the 1930s but then it was seen that they became popular for home playing.

How does yours differ to a Hammond then Chris?

Thanks for the link mention DP.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

How does yours differ to a Hammond then Chris?
                Well, as I said, Hammond organs generated their sounds with tonewheels. Basically, metal tonewheels are rotated near a pickup, which generates electric current. Then this is amplified and fed through a speaker (usually a Leslie in the case of the Hammond) to create the sound.

For anyone who does not know what a Hammond organ looks and sounds like:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_gwED-gQw[/YOUTUBE]

A pipe organ is entirely different. Air is pumped through a series of pipes, which creates the sound. An electronic simulation, like a Rodgers, works by sampling real pipe organs and then putting the samples together through sophisticated algorithms to create the right sounds when you play it. In other words, it works much the same way your digital piano works. This kind of thing does not work that well for simulating string instruments or wind instruments because of the huge variety of attacks, releases, articulations, and dynamics possible on those instruments, but the organ has fewer possibilities in those regards (far less than even a piano), so it works very well. The sound is excellent. The only significant thing missing is the vibrations of the pipes you get with an actual pipe organ. Rattles your bones, that does!

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that Chris. I was thinking your church organ might work like my Privia Piano.

I can imagine regarding the vibrations lol.

I was surprised when I first played Privia that I could feel vibrations in the keys- didn't expect that!

DPs do have some useful features. When I get pianoteq I'll be able to play fortepiano sounds through it in unequal temperaments!!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                  X