Christopher Hogwood has died aged 73.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christopher Hogwood has died aged 73.

British conductor Christopher Hogwood and founder of the Academy of Ancient Music has died aged 73.
    Thank you for the music, you were an inspiration to millions.

May he Rest in Peace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29347895
    Last edited by Megan; 09-24-2014, 06:35 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

RIP

A true loss to music in general and period instrument performance specifically. I have so many of his recordings, and so many of them are among my favorites, including his incredible complete Mozart symphony cycle with the AAM. I had a chance to see him back when I was in college, but I had to miss it due to being swamped by school work. My greatest musical regret!

Comment

I too own the AAM Mozart Symphony cycle, mostly on LP. Some of his Beethoven and Haydn symphonies too, along with other things. Hadn't kept up with him in many years, though by shear happenstance I watched a lecture at YouTube in which he was presenter maybe a month ago. Another sad loss (Franz Bruggen having left us so recently) to music and the historically informed performance movement.

Comment

I have never heard of him and I love HIP...
        RIP sir and I shall look your performances up!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Very sad news indeed. It's such a pleasure to hear his performances with period instruments. You need only to close your eyes and hear how a Mozart symphony would have actually sounded with the instruments of that time. He will be missed.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

The first Beethoven recording I had from him was the 3rd Symphony. I felt that I was listening to the symphony for the first time as it felt so fresh and alive. He will be missed, indeed!

Comment

Working...
            X