Sue Perkins learns Pathetique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sue Perkins learns Pathetique

I though I'd link it for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2z...youtu.be&t=36s

I just watched part one- Sue is talking candidly about her fears to play again, and how rubbish she feels at playing etc etc...then she goes into the pianist's studio and she runs off scales very dexterously and he asks her her grade and she says 8! I was expecting her to plonk Mary Had A Little Lamb and say er I am grade 1.
    Grade 8 is not rubbish- that is GOOD!
    Funny how she has severely under estimated her ability. She needs to meet me to know what being rubbish at piano is- still grade 0 after 3-4 years! Still unable to read music... That is being rubbish!
    She admits she will find Pathetique hard because it is so emotional and she is quite introverted like that- it will be interesting to see how Beethoven changes her...
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thanks for the very interesting video links Aeolian, I really enjoyed listening to Sue's story, though I found it incredible that she had already had grade 8 and yet she seemed still very tense and lacked confidence, her fingering was tense to start with instead of a nice relaxed curve of the fingers. I was really pleased for her finally performing in front of an audience, I thought she was going to cry, I did get emotional too. A nerve wracking experience for her I'm sure. Sue seems to fight her emotions, bottle them all up, but she just needs to learn to let go more and lose herself in the music more go with the emotion and beauty of the piece she is playing. I am so glad she did it.
    Sometimes when I'm practing a piece , and find some notes played together particularly beautiful , i like to play that passage over and over again , even slower so I can savour and feel the beauty of the notes. It's difficult to describe feeling the beauty .
    Last edited by Megan; 09-11-2014, 04:15 PM.
    🎹

Comment

Thanks for the very interesting video links Aeolian, I really enjoyed listening to Sue's story, though I found it incredible that she had already had grade 8 and yet she seemed still very tense and lacked confidence, her fingering was tense to start with instead of a nice relaxed curve of the fingers.
      Me too re the grade 8 thing Megan!! She ought to come and see my stumble about on my two paged (treble cleff only) version of Pathetique! It is all about nerves with her I think. I have seen the whole programme now.

I was really pleased for her finally performing in front of an audience, I thought she was going to cry, I did get emotional too.
      Yes, I found it moving when she said she got lost in the music- that is what Beethoven intended!

A nerve wracking experience for her I'm sure. Sue seems to fight her emotions, bottle them all up, but she just needs to learn to let go more and lose herself in the music more go with the emotion and beauty of the piece she is playing. I am so glad she did it.
      Yes, I know one needs technique- which I lack in spades, but also feeling is important- connecting with the music is equally important. I think Beethoven's music was the ideal music for her to practise and learn from!

Sometimes when I'm practising a piece , and find some notes played together particularly beautiful , i like to play that passage over and over again , even slower so I can savour and feel the beauty of the notes. It's difficult to describe feeling the beauty .
      That's lovely Megan.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a look-see.

All seriousness aside...

I'm glad you enjoy(ed) it. (I waited until I knew you has seen it all before commenting lest I spoil the experience.) As mentioned, I found Ms Perkins' journey quite moving. I felt somewhat apprehensive going into the actual performance, and was pleased as punch when she pulled it off as well as so did. Gotta admit my eyes misted a time or two. (My worry for her was of course silliness. Had she crashed and burned the episode would surely not have aired.)

Comment

Hello DP. I wonder if Sue has continued with piano? It look like she had turned a corner on something.
          I am surprised you know who she is!

P.S Is your sig pic Clark Gable?
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            Hello DP. I wonder if Sue has continued with piano? It look like she had turned a corner on something.
            I am surprised you know who she is!

P.S Is your sig pic Clark Gable?
            As to Ms Perkins, being on the side of the pond I'm on I was totally unaware of her until scoping episodes of QI at YouTube maybe two years ago. I went on to watch her series on British eating habits over the last some centuries, along with other odds and end. QI itself is another YouTube discovery for me. No idea how I chanced upon it. I must say I'm totally envious of British television programming. (I confess being thoroughly ensorcelled by Lucy Worsley.)

I gave up on American TV in the late eighties. Jettisoned cable then and have never regretted it. All I get now is over the air broadcasting of our local ABC affiliate, and a couple of PBS channels. (PBS used to be pretty darn decent, but in my opinion is now a shadow of its former self.) I watch the ABC affiliate for weather updates during storms. Once in a blue moon PBS airs something of interest. That's about the extent of it.

Clark Gable?!?!?!? This made my day. (Who am I kidding? It almost assuredly makes my year.) No. It's and crude self portrait of myself, drawn in 1975. I drew three or so of 'em over the years Two survive. This was the last, and my favorite. My mom called it "The Mad Musician". I don't worry over being recognized by the image. No one who sees me now would make the connection. Even I have trouble remembering that fellow.
            Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 09-12-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I like Lucy Worsley too- she presents some good history programmes- I haven't a TV myself- I watch things on you tube and iplayer. Most TV is rubbish!

Ha ha yes I saw Sue on those historical diets programmes on you tube a few months ago- it is called Supersizers.

Though it made me pull a lot of faces being a life time vegetarian! Some of the "food"....
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
              X