Anti Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    Thanks all for your input, I do have microsoft firewall.
    For now I have downloaded Bitdefender for free, until I make my decide if I want to purchase one. I might take a look at ESET , but it is expensive.

I did use a paid Bullguard, but it has run out, hence downoading a freebie at present. I think I like the Bitdefender so far. Does the Virus Shield act like a firewall, Rocco? I don't really understand about firewalls. Do all inti virus systems have them?
    There is no need to purchase one, Bitdefender free is as good a one you could purchase. I would just use that with the Microsoft firewall. No the virus shield doesn't act like a firewall.. it is just a virus shield. Also, you should have a firewall on your router.. did you ever set one up there as well?
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      I don't trust any of the free antivirus, especially as I still have windows XP - I use ESET and it's reasonably priced and highly efficient.
      Bitdefender free is every bit as good as the paid ESET, only difference is it doesn't have it's own firewall. But if you use it with the Windows firewall it works well. If you have a firewall on your router that is even stronger!

What I wouldn't trust is using Windows XP... No antivirus is going to really make XP secure. You really need to get off of that.
      For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
        Malwarebytes is a good alternative, but does it have real-time protection like Spybot?
        You don't need real time with your antivirus running real time.

Comment

How do I set up a firewall on my router?
          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Is it a Wifi router? What model?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
              You don't need real time with your antivirus running real time.
              I'm talking about TeaTimer, which protects the system settings.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                I'm talking about TeaTimer, which protects the system settings.
                I don't use Spybot so I don't know anything about TeaTimer.

Comment

Is it a Wifi router? What model?

Its NetGear Router, and Yes, its Wifi.
                  ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Its NetGear Router, and Yes, its Wifi.
                    Model number too? lol

Comment

Eset is about £40 for a year - you can also opt for a month free trial. It does everything you want and I don't think that's expensive for peace of mind!
                      Thanks Peter, It is peace of mind, but I'll see how I go with the free Bitdefender, if I encounter any problems, then I'll think about purchasing one.

I remember Chris saying that he has always used a free anti virus and has virtually no problems.

Comment

Model number too? lol
                        Oh one moment, I'll get my specs on.

Ok , it's, Wireless-N 300 Router,
                        WNR 2000 v2.

Is that what you're asking?
                        Last edited by Megan; 08-22-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks Peter, It is peace of mind, but I'll see how I go with the free Bitdefender, if I encounter any problems, then I'll think about purchasing one.

I remember Chris saying that he has always used a free anti virus and has virtually no problems.
                          Yes indeed - I still have Windows XP though and support and protection are no longer provided by Microsoft, I know Eset still protects despite this, I'm not sure I'd trust the free ones with XP.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes indeed - I still have Windows XP though and support and protection are no longer provided by Microsoft, I know Eset still protects despite this, I'm not sure I'd trust the free ones with XP.
                            Yes, I can understand your reasoning there Peter, better safe than sorry.

Comment

I've used free software and have never had any problems. A bit of common sense (like don't go clicking on any ads saying you've won £1 million, opening dodgy emails, or installing foreign .exe files), and you shouldn't have any problems. If the worst comes to the worst, you could always just do a fresh install of Windows.

Comment

Oh one moment, I'll get my specs on.

Ok , it's, Wireless-N 300 Router,
                                WNR 2000 v2.

Is that what you're asking?
                                You could try visiting your router IP which I think is 192.168.0.1 (type that in the address bar), and you could probably set it up from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X