Anti Virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Virus

What is the best free Anti Virus, and are they as reliable as the full paid up versions ?
    🎹

I've been using Avast for almost seven years and have never had a problem. Download Spybot S&D for spyware and use NoScript for your browser (you can manually activate certain scripts for your favourite sites that you know are safe) . General advice: always update your programs and disable any Java plugins in your browser.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
      I've been using Avast for almost seven years and have never had a problem. Download Spybot S&D for spyware and use NoScript for your browser (you can manually activate certain scripts for your favourite sites that you know are safe) . General advice: always update your programs and disable any Java plugins in your browser.
      I'll endorse this recommendation for Avast (free version) and Spybot. I too have used them a good many years. Works like a charm.

Comment

Thank you , i have heard Avast is good, but the free version doesn't seem to supp

Silent Firewall against hacker attacks

Anti-spam against phishing & scam emails.

Does it actually have a firewall?

Also if I disable Java plugins, will I still get my Office 365, and watch videos?
        Last edited by Megan; 08-22-2014, 12:33 PM.
        🎹

Comment

No, but you can download Comodo, which is a good free firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
            No, but you can download Comodo, which is a good free firewall.
            What is the function of Java plugins?
            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              What is the function of Java plugins?
              To run Java applications in your browser. It's vulnerable to security breaches so it's best you disable it. If you need to use it, update it. Videos (which are mostly flash based) and Office 365 should work. Most sites (well the good ones anyway) don't use Java.

Comment

Avast free is ok, but is bloated. I stopped using Avast and now I exclusively use Bitdefender free on Windows computers. Better than Avast in every way in my opinion. You never get any annoying pop-ups trying to get you to buy the paid version with Bitdefender free.

Also, not impressed with Spybot. Malwarebytes free and ESET free online scan are MUCH better.
                Last edited by Rocco; 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM.
                For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Microsoft Security Essentials has worked well for me without being intrusive, etc. It's free, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    Microsoft Security Essentials has worked well for me without being intrusive, etc. It's free, as well.
                    Hmmm.. How do you know it has worked well? Have you tested with other scans to see if there is any malware on your computer? I ask because Microsoft Security Essentials is about the worst antivirus out there.. so bad you might as well not be running an antivirus. Microsoft has abandoned Microsoft Security Essentials and actually is telling people not to use it!
                    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

As to software firewalls, assuming you run some variant of MS Windows do you not already use Windows Firewall? It's easy enough to check. In Windows 7 go to Control Panel / Review your computer's status / Security. That should tell you what protections you do or don't have running. I don't know how Windows Firewall stacks up with the competition. It's what I use, along with Avast and Spybot of course.

Also, do you have a hardware firewall? Most decent routers provide them. They serve a different purpose than software firewalls, so that the two complement each other. (Mine's built into my ASUS RT-N66U router.)

As to Java, hal9000 is correct that many advise disabling it, if installed. I myself have both Java 32-bit and Java 64-bit installed with no harm. But that's me. In any case I have a couple of old, obscure but necessary programs that require it. Most folk these days won't be in that situation.

A slight word of caution. If you are anyone in your household plays the extremely popular PC game Minecraft on the computer(s) in question, Java is needed. (Leastwise I think so.)

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                        I don't know how Windows Firewall stacks up with the competition. It's what I use, along with Avast and Spybot of course.
                        Yea, it really isn't necessary. Windows Firefall is more than adequate and is what I use also.

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                        Avast free is ok, but is bloated. I stopped using Avast and now I exclusively use Bitdefender free on Windows computers. Better than Avast in every way in my opinion. You never get any annoying pop-ups trying to get you to buy the paid version with Bitdefender free.

Also, not impressed with Spybot. Malwarebytes free and ESET free online scan are MUCH better.
                        My Avast is taking up less than 5,000 K of memory running in the background, and you can disable those pop-ups in the settings.

Malwarebytes is a good alternative, but does it have real-time protection like Spybot?

Comment

I don't trust any of the free antivirus, especially as I still have windows XP - I use ESET and it's reasonably priced and highly efficient.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks all for your input, I do have microsoft firewall.
                            For now I have downloaded Bitdefender for free, until I make my decide if I want to purchase one. I might take a look at ESET , but it is expensive.

I did use a paid Bullguard, but it has run out, hence downoading a freebie at present. I think I like the Bitdefender so far. Does the Virus Shield act like a firewall, Rocco? I don't really understand about firewalls. Do all inti virus systems have them?
                            Last edited by Megan; 08-22-2014, 04:05 PM.
                            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              Thanks all for your input, I do have microsoft firewall.
                              For now I have downloaded Bitdefender for free, until I make my decide if I want to purchase one. I might take a look at ESET , but it is expensive.

I did use a paid Bullguard, but it has run out, hence downoading a freebie at present. I think I like the Bitdefender so far. Does the Virus Shield act like a firewall, Rocco? I don't really understand about firewalls. Do all inti virus systems have them?
                              Eset is about £40 for a year - you can also opt for a month free trial. It does everything you want and I don't think that's expensive for peace of mind!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                              X