Video converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video converter

I don't know about other members, but I have a load of films and documentaries on video that I would love to convert to dvd and wondered if anyone has any advice on the best way to do this? I've looked at some software online, but are there any particular recommendations?
    'Man know thyself'

You mean that you have them on VHS tapes and want to transfer them to DVD?

There are businesses out there that will do that for you. That might be the most hassle-free way of getting it done. Otherwise you would probably need some special hardware as well as software for your PC.

Comment

Yes VHS to video transfer - I've seen quotes of around £8 per tape from these places and as I have around 100 tapes so it would be rather expensive! I think you only need software, but it will still probably be rather time consuming.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

You can certainly capture the video on a PC and then burn it to DVD from there, but you will need some sort of hardware. Do you already have a video capture card? If so, which one?

Comment

I am pretty sure you can get an adaptor to feed the VHS player into the USB port of your computer then you only need software to do the conversion. I wonder if there is such in Linux.
          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

OK do you think something like this is the right way to go?
            http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/honestech-...d-deluxe-a06jr
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, something like that would work. But make sure your computer meets the requirements for what you want to do before you buy it. According to that page you will need 256 MB RAM (1 GB for HD editing), and 700 MB of hard disk space free just to install the program, and another 10 GB free to actually create DVDs. If your computer meets those requirements you should be ready to go.

Comment

Thanks Chris - I might get round to it one day!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X