Any gardeners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any gardeners here?

The roses this year have dreadful blackspot, but I won't use systemic pesticides - anyone know of a reliable alternative, or at least one that helps to control?
    'Man know thyself'

Yes Peter, my rose leaves i have at least one rose bush with blotchy horrible blackspot on the leaves, in particular my 'Bridge of Sighs' rose bush, though there is a lovely show of bloom the leaves have the dreaded blackspot, won't kill it, but the leaves look blotchy. My neighbour recommended Rose Clear, which helps prevent blackspot, powdery mildew, and rust and controls fungus. Only 4 applications a year is needed.
    Before I used pesticide I just picked off the affected leaves, but it is a daily or weekly task. Otherwise there are mild soapy sprays you can make up. I'll try and look at some natural remedies.
    My Charlie Dimmock rose bush seems to keep clear of blackspot, it is a beautiful scented rose.
    Black spot pores are in the soil and there is a mild solution you can treat the soil with in the winter and before the rose starts growing again in the spring.

This seems a good site I have just had a quick look at , should provide us with expert advice . I'll look in later.

http://www.englishroseforum.com/

Last edited by Megan; 05-30-2014, 08:50 AM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Thanks Megan, but as I said I won't go down the systemic pesticide road which damages wildlife and the environment, better to live with the blackspot I think. Most of my roses are ok, but the central bed is infested - I've tried many home made recipes but to no avail.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Here is an interesting treatment for black spot:
        http://www.jeffgillman.net/5.html
        If you click the about tab you will see Jeff has excellent qualifications in working with plants.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Thank you Harvey - the roses have just had their milk drink, but I suspect they're too far gone for it to be of much use!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Thank you Harvey - the roses have just had their milk drink, but I suspect they're too far gone for it to be of much use!
            I hope your roses recover Peter. I have 2 minature rose plants that were in pots but I planted them under the kitchen window a few weeks ago and they are doing very well.

To my astonishment one of them has grew a normal sized beautiful orange rose!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Sorry to hear they are so far gone. I also appreciate organic yard maintenance. I have not used lawn chemicals in 23 years and in fact love the mix of grass and other plants ("weeds" to some) as it makes for a more robust ground cover. In the house we do not use any harsh chemicals, just a couple of eco friendly cleaners, and for ants i have used boric acid power from the drugstore--it works quite well, but takes about a week. No pesticides for me so much as I can help it.

Would love to see an end to the silly lawn care craze where the lawn has to be a chemically dependent monoculture. In some cases I guess the monoculture is needed (golf course for example) but we all would do well to have a more natural environmental.

The concern I work for does a lot of work in cleaning up contaminated aquatic sites in industrial areas and it can be done (though sometimes only by capping/isolating and restricting use), but is very expensive. So much easier to prevent than to clean up.

People leave their lawn chemical granules all over the sidewalk and then you have to be careful walking the dog and clean your shoes off before going in the house or may bring the granules in.

Oh boy, have to get off my soapbox as I am preaching to the choir here.
              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

I'm with you on this Harvey - my lawn is a nice mixture of daisies, thistle and dandelions, the bees are very happy and so am I, I just hope they come back on mass now I've had to remove the old lavender hedge, though a new one has been planted. I'll let you know if the milk does the trick!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm with you on this Harvey - my lawn is a nice mixture of daisies, thistle and dandelions, the bees are very happy and so am I, I just hope they come back on mass now I've had to remove the old lavender hedge, though a new one has been planted. I'll let you know if the milk does the trick!
                  I have a right mix of wild plants too! The bees also love the forget me nots and my French Lavender! What Lavender have you got?

I have thistles too but had to cut some away earlier as they were choking my rose bush and the foxglove. Sorry thistles.

I do organic gardening too!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                    I have a right mix of wild plants too! The bees also love the forget me nots and my French Lavender! What Lavender have you got?

I have thistles too but had to cut some away earlier as they were choking my rose bush and the foxglove. Sorry thistles.

I do organic gardening too!
                    I had to dig out the old 'Intermedia' hedge which was huge but leggy - had a wonderful scent and swarms of bees, but a pale colour so I've replaced with 'Hidcote' - lovely colour, less scent and not a bee in sight yet!

We've got heavy clay soil here which Lavender hate so it meant digging in lots of grit - it's why I haven't tried French Lavender as I think it would struggle.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I had to dig out the old 'Intermedia' hedge which was huge but leggy - had a wonderful scent and swarms of bees, but a pale colour so I've replaced with 'Hidcote' - lovely colour, less scent and not a bee in sight yet!

We've got heavy clay soil here which Lavender hate so it meant digging in lots of grit - it's why I haven't tried French Lavender as I think it would struggle.
                      My French Lavender is in a big pot. It has grown a lot since I got it last year. I will re pot it again this year. Try a big pot with compost in Peter!
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                        Here is an interesting treatment for black spot:
                        http://www.jeffgillman.net/5.html
                        If you click the about tab you will see Jeff has excellent qualifications in working with plants.
                        The milk not working, maybe because I started the treatment too late in the season, so I'm trying wetable sulphur.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Some of these organic treatments seem a bit weak. We have some bugs eating holes in the leaves of the new cherry tree we planted a month ago, but it is not serious at this time. May try a soapy water solution on them though.

The sulfur solutions ought to work on the roses and seems relatively harmless environmentally. I wonder if it has to get on the top, bottom or both sides of the leaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                            Some of these organic treatments seem a bit weak. We have some bugs eating holes in the leaves of the new cherry tree we planted a month ago, but it is not serious at this time. May try a soapy water solution on them though.

The sulfur solutions ought to work on the roses and seems relatively harmless environmentally. I wonder if it has to get on the top, bottom or both sides of the leaves.
                            Yes you probably are supposed to do that - practically I find it impossible! As for the Cherry trees I wouldn't worry too much, some of the leaves on mine have been eaten as well, but it's only minor.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Besides Harvey's solution , I would like to mention vinegar and water treatment.
                              To make this spray, mix two tablespoons (30 mL) of cider vinegar in two quarts/litres of water. This spray should only be used in the morning or early evening, when it's cool and there's no direct light on the plant.
                              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Working...
                              X