X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance Jitters.

Has this every happened to anyone?

🎹

Of course! Even the greatest performers aren't always 100% - Rubinstein was notorious for wrong notes. My worst experience was a memory slip in a Rachmaninov prelude which resulted in half the piece missing - fortunately the two outer parts joined seamlessly and I think I got away with it!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Of course! Even the greatest performers aren't always 100% - Rubinstein was notorious for wrong notes. My worst experience was a memory slip in a Rachmaninov prelude which resulted in half the piece missing - fortunately the two outer parts joined seamlessly and I think I got away with it!
      I had the same issue, as well, with a Rachmaninoff prelude. Unfortunately, my mind went blank as to the last part. I repeated a previous section, but still could not remember the last part, so I stopped and just said I couldn't remember it and sat down.

Comment

Well it's comforting to know that even the greatest performers have memory slip ups, it must be nerve wracking at times.
        For me, like to day, I can have a good practice session, then as soon as my tutor comes and asks to play the piece through, I get the jitters, and it is though I have never practiced! Sometimes I wish that I had recorded my practice so the believes me when I played it near perfect. And that is easy pieces.
        Last edited by Megan; 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM.
        🎹

Comment

The story of my life!

Comment

Yes. I am even nervous trying to plonk a few notes on my own! So I will always be a plonky beginner.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              Well it's comforting to know that even the greatest performers have memory slip ups, it must be nerve wracking at times.
              For me, like to day, I can have a good practice session, then as soon as my tutor comes and asks to play the piece through, I get the jitters, and it is though I have never practiced! Sometimes I wish that I had recorded my practice so the believes me when I played it near perfect. And that is easy pieces.
              There are ways of dealing with nerves which are perfectly natural. Firstly be properly prepared - try practising without looking at your hands sometimes, try to memorise, make sure you can start anywhere in the piece. Secondly remain focused on what you are doing, not worrying about a more difficult bit later on in the piece. Practice ignoring any small mistakes on a run through (correcting later in practice) - all musicians have occasional slips, the trick is not to be phased by stopping or going back which draws attention to your mistakes. Try breathing exercises - slow calm breathing will help. Remember your teacher is human and has been there him/herself! Hope that helps a bit.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, thank you for your very helpful guidance Peter. I definately need to focus on my breathing, as all concentration goes into reading, timing and playing.
                I try to practice scales without looking, and I can also manage play some pieces without looking, but when it comes to the trickier passages I need to look at what I am doing . Sometimes I will start with certain passages that are difficult for me and practice a few times until it becomes more flowing.
                Gradually gaining ground.

I realise since learning there is so much multi-tasking going on and it is a great discipline.
                Last edited by Megan; 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM.
                🎹

Comment

As a member of a drama group, I am well acquainted with the jitters. The most awful feeling in the world is just before you step out on stage. I always convince myself that I have forgotten my first line.

However, it's probably easier to cover up the cracks in a drama production than in a musical one. If a few lines get lost, the audience never notices (except the odd smart aleck who knows the play off by heart).

Comment

I always try to learn every piece by heart as soon as possible, but then it's even worse when you play not following the sheet music at all, then suddenly go blank, look up to find help in remembering and of course have no idea which bar you were currently at...so frustrating! My brain could never handle the pressure of a professional musician
                    Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Working...
                    X