Beethoven's school years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's school years

Is it known which school Beethoven attended in Bonn when he was a lad and who his classmates were? I wonder if he ever kept in touch with them.
    🎹

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    Is it known which school Beethoven attended in Bonn when he was a lad and who his classmates were? I wonder if he ever kept in touch with them.
    I expect the Fischer documents might say more on this- but they are in German and not published in English. Looking at Thayer now...
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Pages 58-9 in Thayer give the following information:

Young Ludwig went to the Tirocinium, a Latin school, which was to prepare pupils for the gymnasium and the teacher was Johann Krengel. A school fellow of Ludwig's, Wurzer remembered Ludwig and when he went on to the gymnasium school in 1781 Ludwig didn't- so his schooling ended by then.

Thayer goes on to say that those who went to school with Ludwig that none of them described him as a playmate- games at school or out with him in Bonn- it seems he was shy, as described by Dr Muller.

But Fischer said Ludwig played with his brothers and other neighbourhood children in his yard, the river and court gardens and pranks played by Carl and Ludwig at which Ludwig laughed about "heartily."

I'd really love to read Fischer's reminiscences.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Many thanks AeolianHarp. I wonder if the school buildings still exist today and whether there is a plaque in his memory.
        🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Many thanks AeolianHarp. I wonder if the school buildings still exist today and whether there is a plaque in his memory.

Sadly, I very much doubt it Megan as most of the old buildings from Beethoven's time in Bonn were bombed by the RAF in world war 2! The Rheingasse was obliterated....:
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
          X