Free music courses and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free music courses and others

Have you folks heard of Coursera? They are free online courses offered by various universities. I did one on Beethoven this Autumn and one on western classical music.

There is one on music theory starting in a few weeks:

https://www.coursera.org/course/musictheory

And one on composition:

https://www.coursera.org/course/classicalcomp

Coursera offer all sorts of courses on virtually every topic- art, sciences, IT, literature....
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thanks for that - useful for those seeking some basic training - I didn't quite understand how the 'related' links at the bottom were related to music theory - Macroeconomics, Industrial organisation!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Thanks for that - useful for those seeking some basic training - I didn't quite understand how the 'related' links at the bottom were related to music theory - Macroeconomics, Industrial organisation!
      No- they are not, Coursera do courses of all different subjects. And many of their courses are quite advanced!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

How was that one on Beethoven? I was thinking of taking that at some point. Is it for amateurs like me?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
          How was that one on Beethoven? I was thinking of taking that at some point. Is it for amateurs like me?
          Oh it was fantastic! The best course I have ever done in my life Albert ( and I have done so many different types of courses over the years). It enriched my life and led to my great love of Beethoven ( I liked and admired him before but didn't know a lot of his music) and his music. I would even go so far as to say it was a transformative experience, and I wasn't the only one to feel and experience this- many of us felt the same.

Jonathan Biss's lectures were a delight- now I am a beginner (piano) but I managed to do the essays on the sonatas and even got a distinction ( I worked hard yes, but still was amazed I managed it...) It was aimed at any level- you could analyse the sonatas to your own musical level- a lot of it was your own personal response- how did you feel iistening to the music, what did it mean to you etc.

I cannot recommend it enough- so let us hope Curtis will offer it again.
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-10-2013, 04:55 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
          X