The city of Nuremberg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The city of Nuremberg.

In the 1963 edition of the Collier's Encyclopedia, the following can be read (article "Nurnberg):
    The city of Nurnberg has long been an industrial community of note and can boast of being the birthplace of numerous inventions, particularly during the sixteenth century. Wire drawing was discovered in 1360, and Peter Henlein, a Nurnberg clockmaker, made the world's first watch in 1510. Gunlocks were invented in 1517 and the air gun in 1560. Brass alloy was first processed at Nurnberg in 1560, and the clarinet was invented in 1690. Traditionally a world-famous toy-manufacturing center, Nurnberg has numerous other industires producing machines, machine tools, precision insturments, office equipment, chemicals, textiles, leather goods, and beer. Pop. (est. 1960), 458,400.
    --Colbert C. Held
    But I think the assertion about the clarinet is an oversimplification on the part of the author, who must have been forced to it in view of space limitations. Can anybody give a date of birth for the piano? I don't think the clarinet is a different case, or any other invention for that matter.

If I were allowed some day to visit Germany, I would not fail to stop in Nuremberg, that lovely city that was the birthplace of Albert Durero.
    Last edited by Enrique; 12-08-2013, 02:38 PM.

Off the top of my head I think it's 1709 and Christophori the inventor.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Then the piano is an exception to the rule.

Comment

Working...
      X