Piano extended techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano extended techniques

Robert Schumann devised a finger extention to enable easier reach. Did this work and how did affect his playing?

Schumann also introduced the silent pressing technique. How was this done?

Have other composers devised different techniques over the centuries that are still employed today?
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    Robert Schumann devised a finger extention to enable easier reach. Did this work and how did affect his playing?

Schumann also introduced the silent pressing technique. How was this done?

Have other composers devised different techniques over the centuries that are still employed today?
    It seems to me, if my memory serves correctly, that is permanently damaged his hand(s) and he was no longer able to continue to perform.

Comment

Sorrano is correct - it damaged his hand. I've never heard of it but any teacher using such a device today should be struck off!! A good study for extension - Chopin Op.10/1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdthPE-EeLc
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I also read that story about Schumann messing up his fourth (?) finger with some contraption of his invention.
        But about "extended technique" in general, there are such ways of using one's instrument that go beyond their original design, shall we say; using the forearm to make clusters on the piano is one such idea used by Stockhausen in one of his Klavierstücke.
        Luciano Berio also wrote a fine set of Sequenza for various instruments (and one for voice) that set out to test the limits of such "extended techniques".
        These can easily be heard via Google/YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
          I also read that story about Schumann messing up his fourth (?) finger with some contraption of his invention.
          But about "extended technique" in general, there are such ways of using one's instrument that go beyond their original design, shall we say; using the forearm to make clusters on the piano is one such idea used by Stockhausen in one of his Klavierstücke.
          Luciano Berio also wrote a fine set of Sequenza for various instruments (and one for voice) that set out to test the limits of such "extended techniques".
          These can easily be heard via Google/YouTube.
          I recall listening to some examples of polyponics being played by single reeded instruments (oboe and bassoon) but do not recall who it was that experimented with that. It was very interesting. There was something else, too, about humming at one pitch into the instrument while playing at another pitch.
          Last edited by Sorrano; 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM. Reason: Used wrong word. At least it wasn't a four letter one.

Comment

Glenn Gould?
            Nah, just kidding!

Comment

But quite possibly Casals. Hah!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                I recall listening to some examples of polyponics being played by single reeded instruments (oboe and bassoon) but do not recall who it was that experimented with that. It was very interesting. There was something else, too, about humming at one pitch into the instrument while playing at another pitch.
                Rings a bell, Sorrano. Berio, Sequenza for oboe? Can't remember.
                Anyway, another piece using extended technique for 'cello by Xenakis : Kottos. It's a killer!

Comment

That was probably Berio. Are you familiar with Joseph Schwanter? He visited the university while I was there and might have been the one that we were talking about regarding the polyphonics.

Comment

Working...
                  X