My experience with MIDI.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My experience with MIDI.

When I bought the Yamaha electronic piano, I thought I could use the computer to enter a score into a file and then ask the computer to send it to the piano, which had a very good FM synthesizer (meaning the sound was pretty good, withing what can be expected from this kind of devices). And I had built from before, an interface for this computer with several I/O ports (not, as many people do, by looking at some computer electronics magazine, but from scratch).

All I had to do to get communications with the piano was to add a UART (a certain 40-pin chip) to my interface and the rest was programming, a thing I like very much to do. Fortunately, I had a Telequipment (a division of Tektronix) oscilloscope by that time. When I had the software and the hardware working, the first thing I did was to enter the four last movements from the piano score of Pictures at an Exhibition, beginning at Limoges, connect the piano to my hi-fi amplifier, and command the computer to launch program execution (in its playback mode). The result astonished me. It was a very rewarding job.

There already were, at that time, soft to do the job, and sound cards. But I wanted to do it myself. I have the interface and the program to this day.

That's pretty cool! I had forgotten about those UART chips. The MIDI technology was a wonderful thing back and and continues to be very helpful!

Comment

Man, so you knew them! In fact, high-end modern desktop computers include an UART. Actually, today it is a subset of a larger chip. This can be fun. The YPP-50 reached, downwards, not farther than the E of the double bass. When I was getting near the last movement, La grande porta di Kiev, I realized it is written in Eb (it does not go below Eb). It was impossible to get right until the end of the preceding movement and then raise the pitch a half-tone, for all the grandiose effect of the transition would be lost. And I could not transport all I had already written because my editor was not so powerful. The solution: to raise the pitch in the middle of Baba-Yaga!

Comment

Another thing you might have done is record the low e-flat an octave high, then with the software drop it an octave. It might not have worked, though, on the keyboard. But raising the pitch of the whole was clever!

Comment

Working...
        X