New Year, New Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Megan View Post
    I once had a petticoat that looked like her dress, if that is what she is wearing.
    Nah, that's you Meagn in the photo, admit it. I hear you are having piano lessons. I am a crap pianist, but I could teach a beginner. Care for some private lessons, babe?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
      Nah, that's you Meagn in the photo, admit it. I hear you are having piano lessons. I am a crap pianist, but I could teach a beginner. Care for some private lessons, babe?

Did you say free piano lessons for beginners? Yes please!
      As long as you are not too strict!
      I have done practice today, but shall do more a little later this afternoon.
      Looking at the weather, I hope all the miserable snow clears away by wednesday when my tutor visits, (he comes to my house).
      Last edited by Megan; 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Nah, 'free' is not a word in my lexicon. The guys over on the 'Counterpoint' thread may think they are getting it free, but I'll be using their exercise workings for my own teaching purposes!
        Anyway, the Blue Baron's your man, though I hear his fees are exorbitant.

Comment

Exorbitant. As Czerny was.

Comment

Thanks for all your encouragements, I am pleased with my choice , it has a good sound. I think the digital keyboards are excellent for encouraging the young and all ages for introducing them to music, which gives a lifetime of pleasure.
            Here is a picture of my all singing, all dancing music machine.

How are the lessons going, Megan?

The photo seems to have gone all shy on me but those awful foldaway stands! Yeek! I had a Yamaha PR-7 (or something) 25 years ago and it came with one of those giraffe-type leg things. Horrible. When you want to give a good 'thump' the damn keyboard would jump around. If you're just learning, it might be all right for Haydn, but for any LvB it ain't! My tip: put the keyboard on a sturdy table - it will give you oodles more confidence.

I was never happier than when I finally got the chance to bash at the local pub piano. It didn't sway with the wind...

Comment

I agree PDG, the foldaway stand is not ideal, but its only temporary. I will buy a proper wooden desk/stand to house my keyboard soon. What I'm looking for also is a piano stool, don't mind if its second hand. There is a second hand antique shop locally, so will pay it a visit soon as the weather improves.
              My lessons are comming along fine, though I feel the need to do more practice. I am finding that reaching the black keys for flats and sharps can be tricky. At the moment I am practicing pieces with A# and B♭, I can reach them ok, but at times I produce such a weak sound with the B♭using fourth finger , I guess it is a matter of developing finger strength.
              I'm fine with C# and F#. When my tutor visits again today, I just know he is going to ask me to do a G major scale which has an F# , I have pretty will mastered that with practice.
              Last edited by Megan; 02-06-2013, 03:29 AM.
              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Okay, Megan, good luck with all that.

In late December 1969 I had just turned seven and I had to play a glockenspeil solo at a Des O'Connor concert at Portsmouth Guildhall. I wasn't worried about this because I'd memorised the shape of the pattern I was due to play. This was against my music teacher's advice to remember the sequence of notes instead. That seemed too complicated and so in the end I played the piece perfectly on my own terms. My teacher took all the credit of course, but - at seven - I knew I had succeeded doing it 'my way'.

G major is a nice scale, not daunting. You don't even need to be at a keyboard to practice scales; it can be fun flexing your fingers on a table anywhere - even in a coffee shop or library!
                Last edited by PDG; 02-08-2013, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                  Okay, Megan, good luck with all that.

In late December 1969 I had just turned seven and I had to play a glockenspeil solo at a Des O'Connor concert at Portsmouth Guildhall. I wasn't worried about this because I'd memorised the shape of the pattern I was due to play. This was against my music teacher's advice to remember the sequence of notes instead. That seemed too complicated and so in the end I played the piece perfectly on my own terms. My teacher took all the credit of course, but - at seven - I knew I had succeeded doing it 'my way'.

G major is a nice scale, not daunting. You don't even need to be at a keyboard to practice scales; it can be fun flexing your fingers on a table anywhere - even in a coffee shop or library!

Oh so ,you were responsible for all the terrible Des O'connor records!
                  Well done on your youthful exploits! Did you progress to glockenspeil meister?[German spelling].
                  I do try to memorize the scales when not at the keyboard, tapping out on imaginary keys or while in bed tapping on the Duvet.
                  At present I am doing D major scale with F# and C#, oddly enough I find it easier with my left hand than right. Trickier still, I have to practice the scales without looking. I am just thankful that my fingers are still very nimble.
                  A piece I am currently playing 'Home on the Range' with both hands playing in Treble Clef, fairly easy so far. But I did find learning a piece using lef and right at the same time very tricky. What I find most satisfying is when I first read the music, I think I will never do it using both hands, then of course with practice and determination I can make sense of it, and find I can play it. Slowly but surely.
                  My tutor is due to have a knee replacement in March, so I will be without tuition for about 6 weeks.
                  Last edited by Megan; 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Oh so ,you were responsible for all the terrible Des O'connor records!
                    Well done on your youthful exploits! Did you progress to glockenspeil meister?[German spelling].
                    I do try to memorize the scales when not at the keyboard, tapping out on imaginary keys or while in bed tapping on the Duvet.
                    At present I am doing D major scale with F# and C#, oddly enough I find it easier with my left hand than right. Trickier still, I have to practice the scales without looking. I am just thankful that my fingers are still very nimble.
                    A piece I am currently playing 'Home on the Range' with both hands playing in Treble Clef, fairly easy so far. But I did find learning a piece using lef and right at the same time very tricky. What I find most satisfying is when I first read the music, I think I will never do it using both hands, then of course with practice and determination I can make sense of it, and find I can play it. Slowly but surely.
                    My tutor is due to have a knee replacement in March, so I will be without tuition for about 6 weeks.
                    The 6-week break will do you no good, Megan! It will be like starting from the beginning when he/she returns.

Please don't stick to the printed exercise notes. What's your favourite song of all time? Work out how to play it. Then slightly vary what you're doing.

Most of all, have fun. If learning music isn't fun, then it's not worth doing.

Comment

6 weeks? Just enough time to compose a piano concerto. Get to it!

Comment

You could take Chopin's advice and start with B major scale, the most natural hand position - includes all the black notes! When reading hands together try to read up from the bass and along rather than down from the treble which most people do.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I'm thinking of writing a concerto for a snowy afternoon, or a concerto for British Rail, all three movements in slow time with plenty of stops and a Grosse Fuge whilst waiting on the platform.

Last edited by Megan; 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            You could take Chopin's advice and start with B major scale, the most natural hand position - includes all the black notes! When reading hands together try to read up from the bass and along rather than down from the treble which most people do.
                            Thanks Peter, I shall try B major scale, I have taken note and put into practice your good advice when reading hands together, always reading up from the bass and along rather than down from the treble, sometimes the treble notes starts first though.

I am a bit worried about my unavoidable 6 weeks break the beginning of March, as PDG says, it will be like starting again, though my tutor says he will see how he goes it may be less than 6 weeks.

Comment

Thanks Peter, I shall try B major scale, I have taken note and put into practice your good advice when reading hands together, always reading up from the bass and along rather than down from the treble, sometimes the treble notes starts first though.

I am a bit worried about my unavoidable 6 weeks break the beginning of March, as PDG says, it will be like starting again, though my tutor says he will see how he goes it may be less than 6 weeks.
                              All teachers take a break anyway - providing you keep practising you will not go backwards! I suggest you do a little sight reading each day (very easy music, easier than the pieces you study), build up a repertoire of your favourite past pieces, a few scales and chords, possibly some theory and you will actually be improving regardless of your tutor's absence.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

No, teachers never take a break. When I'm on holiday I'm always thinking of next term's programme, preparing and so on. And as I was once told : "a composer is never on holiday".

Comment

Working...
                                X