a new guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preston View Post
    Though, thank the divine powers for feelings of spirituality, philosophical thought, etc. etc. etc. - in music!!! In other words, I can only take so much rock.
    Well luckily Bohemian Rhapsody has some slow and "operatic" sections too!

Queen really did have an incredible diversity to their output.

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody! That takes me way back. I even remember all the words.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post

just messing around:
        http://www.box.com/s/ydvqm2tusu7iaplxyo1v

ps - megan this improv does not sound like death, .

Yes , I listented to your demo. No it doesn't sound like death, no definitely not. It sounds aggressive maybe. Don't you just love revving it up!
        It's something like men love that feeling of power, similar to revving up a motorbike to it's full throttle, they love testing the power of the machine.
        I have often wondered it the steel strings can make your fingers really hurt.
        You just keep goin Preston, I think you'll do great!
        Last edited by Megan; 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM.
        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Well luckily Bohemian Rhapsody has some slow and "operatic" sections too!

Queen really did have an incredible diversity to their output.
          I know too little of Queen, per say, but I think you are right. Guns n Roses wrote some unbelievable music, also, well with their Use Your Illusion albums, Appetite for Destruction is an album I am not fond of. It is a shame though, imo, that Axl wrote this unbelievable music, yet, too many of them were love songs. Though, I tell you November Rain seems to be one of the greatest love songs ever written, imo.

Also, GnR remind me of Pink Floyd - such as, I am not too big of a fan of the earlier PF albums but they really came through with The Wall, imo. The Wall is as great as any 20th century art, imo.

Bands have these creative periods where they cannot be stopped - and then - it is like they all of sudden lose it. Fame - gets to them perhaps, gluttony, not in the sense of weight but wanting to much, greed, etc.
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Yes , I listented to your demo. No it doesn't sound like death, no definitely not. It sounds aggressive maybe. Don't you just love revving it up!
            It's something like men love that feeling of power, similar to revving up a motorbike to it's full throttle, they love testing the power of the machine.
            I have often wondered it the steel strings can make your fingers really hurt.
            You just keep goin Preston, I think you'll do great!
            Thanks Megan. I am glad you didn't see death in that one, ha! Though, as for the "doing great" - I'm just in it for kicks and giggles - and if I ever did improve greatly, I would spit on any thought of serious fame - seriously, . Fame, to my mind, is like sometype of wretched disease.

Megan, I will work with the E-maj on guitar. I think you will find it far less aggressive. Shouldn't be too long, .

Comment

heres the e-maj improv:
              http://www.box.com/s/npg1go2eba5y3kyp1cga
              much more subtle, calm, pleasant, etc. and a better amp sound - though i still don't like it, at all - now that i think of it the amp messes up the entire thing. it is much too gritty and bluesy. needs to be much more lush and sustained, greatly.
              Last edited by Preston; 01-19-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

i want to apologize for what i feel is junk, yet just fun messing around (which i like to do, ), with the guitar mp3s i posted. i really don't care what anyone thinks, no matter how bad it is, to a point, i am in it for kicks and giggles. though, what i have posted is, imo, utter rubbish and just me playing around with the guitar and flashing it some (hey, its rock, it happens, ).

anyway, my point is that, i do not like the sound of the amps i have used - which cause great loss of what i am going for (like playing a harpsichord, or even violin, instead of a piano), and i do not like what i have played - which is the main point.

anyway, i enjoy this piece i am about to post, whether anyone else finds enjoyment does not matter. quite frankly i could give a damn less, truly - i mean its not like i am even good, lol! anyway here it is (it is just in emaj, no progression to other scales, modulation, whatever - just for enjoyment):
                http://www.box.com/s/l61ls3cvh79hgk3xitq4
                i enjoy listening to it with the candles lit at night - and pretty stoned (medicinal marijuana of course) and drunk. well i guess tonight was the only night i did it since i just played it a little while ago, but anyway, that is how i recommend listening to it. i find it meditative for me.
                Last edited by Preston; 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

just wanted to share: this piece of music is rock oriented - but more like 80's rock - it is more positive to my mind thank a lot of the hardcore junk that comes out - not that it is good though. i name it value positivity - in light of another thread.

the chord progression is - Gmaj - Fmaj - Emin - Cmaj - Dmaj - etc. that is what is being picked while the lead plays over it.

i decided to write a positive piece, at least positive to my mind. other than the rock stuff - which i am growing most unfond of - it is just a positive piece, imo.

here it is (comments appreciated, critical or not, ):
                  http://www.box.com/s/q3ey0rs5qka6dnhsblo7

EDIT: i redid the lead guitar on the first one to make it sound more what i was expressing so here is the 2nd one:
                  http://www.box.com/s/ltjl8xhevem2i4r7b3xy
                  Last edited by Preston; 02-03-2012, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Sounds great, Preston! Very atmospheric!

Comment

Thanks Chris! I love reverb – well at least given the piece: such as if the piece calls for reverb – which most pieces I like do, . I think I am so fascinated by ancient eastern music because of the atmospheric qualities – that and it is mystic sounding to me. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

Also, I really have been enjoying this piece of music - I am listening to it constantly!

-------------------------------
                      Also, I love atmospheric music – this may be one problem I have with the orchestra is the lack of heavy reverb. Yes, naturally it is almost impossible to get a heavy reverb, I have only heard one performance where the ambiance was moderately heavy, and that was a renaissance performance (Roehre probably knows) in perhaps and old church or monastery with excellent acoustics.

Comment

Working...
                      X