Teachers' Corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    Well now Sorrano, I have no doubt you would make an excellent student, or a "bitch", meaning you would ask me difficult questions and be generally demanding. I love such students, rather than those that sit in front of me with mouths agape, diligently writing down what I tell and show them without question.
    I agree - had this only last week with a pupil who said 'but you told me to play it like this last week' - yes I said, now I want you to play it this way and next week I'll probably change it again and ask you which you prefer and why!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The unexpected is always a delight in teaching! I have a new 7 year old pupil who has had only 4 lessons and I think coming on well - she seems polite, very intelligent and keen. Then at yesterday's lesson I suggested she should sing her new rote piece, the response "I'm not singing that rubbish!" Oh I said, just imagine you were playing the piece to the school, you wouldn't call it 'Rubbish' - "At this rate I'll never play anything" was the rather unexpected reply - so endeth the lesson for the day!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        The unexpected is always a delight in teaching! I have a new 7 year old pupil who has had only 4 lessons and I think coming on well - she seems polite, very intelligent and keen. Then at yesterday's lesson I suggested she should sing her new rote piece, the response "I'm not singing that rubbish!" Oh I said, just imagine you were playing the piece to the school, you wouldn't call it 'Rubbish' - "At this rate I'll never play anything" was the rather unexpected reply - so endeth the lesson for the day!
        Aha, what she really wants to play is the Moonlight Sonata.
        Absolutely gorgeous!

Comment

There is no problem in being an autodidact (Schoenberg was, to an extent), but I find it sad to read what you have posted.
          I just saw this. Actually, what I meant is that my poor teachers made me want to teach others, because in retrospect I could see what they should have done with me. Although I suppose the way you took it is true as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            At least she was honest!

Comment

Sorry to have been absent of late. When one applies the "Kalashnikov" approach one has to clean up afterwards and this takes a lot of time. I hope to post something interesting soon (here and elsewhere on the forum).

Comment

Sorry to have been absent of late. When one applies the "Kalashnikov" approach one has to clean up afterwards and this takes a lot of time. I hope to post something interesting soon (here and elsewhere on the forum).
                With reference to "Kalashnikov" is it appropriate to say we have missed you?

Comment

Well Sorrano, I am a hard target to pin down. Rest assured you are always in my sights ... (Bam!).

Comment

Well, some "teaching" news of sorts: I've been roped in (press-ganged, rather) to play the piano for a Christmas carol concert at my daughter's school (unpaid labour, most distasteful). I asked the class teacher for the music. The music? No Philip, I only have the CD. So, now I have to listen to the German carols CD (with various instrumentation) and transcribe them by ear for the piano. I am too accommodating sometimes, really I am.

Comment

Well, some "teaching" news of sorts: I've been roped in (press-ganged, rather) to play the piano for a Christmas carol concert at my daughter's school (unpaid labour, most distasteful). I asked the class teacher for the music. The music? No Philip, I only have the CD. So, now I have to listen to the German carols CD (with various instrumentation) and transcribe them by ear for the piano. I am too accommodating sometimes, really I am.
                      Should be a doddle - the worst I had to do was when I stupidly agreed to teach the Jazz syllabus for a pupil and found to my horror a blank page in the music - the improvisation of course and I really didn't have a clue what I was doing with it so I listened to a recording and wrote out the whole improvisation from that with a few alterations - amazingly the pupil got a distinction, but fortunately left me soon after that!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, not difficult, agreed, but unpaid and time-consuming!

Comment

I wonder if some of the music is available on the internet. It could save a little time, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                            I wonder if some of the music is available on the internet. It could save a little time, maybe.
                            Nah, these are not traditional German carols Sorrano. No sweat. A fun exercise really, but unpaid labour all the same!! The teacher that "press-ganged" me into playing in her Christmas concert is not a bad painter (as in art work). As my apartment needs a new lick of paint I think I'll ask her to pop round to my place one evening and make me a quick fresco in the style of Michelangelo.

Comment

Nah, these are not traditional German carols Sorrano. No sweat. A fun exercise really, but unpaid labour all the same!! The teacher that "press-ganged" me into playing in her Christmas concert is not a bad painter (as in art work). As my apartment needs a new lick of paint I think I'll ask her to pop round to my place one evening and make me a quick fresco in the style of Michelangelo.
                              That's only just; I think she ought to do it!

Comment

We have our first rehearsal this Thursday, I'll press-gang her then (just before I play).

Comment

Working...
                                X