Relics of the Past.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relics of the Past.

A government nuclear bunker in the former East Germany, undetectable during the Cold War, was sealed with concrete after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Now it's open to the public for a short time.

http://vdt.dw-world.de/index.php?v=e...=0&f=FlashHigh
    🎹

That old East Germany Cold War relic reminds me of one of the WWII relics here in Vienna that has been put to good use. During WWII Hitler built 6 flak towers here to help defend Vienna from the Allied bombers. One of those flak towers was turned into the Haus des Meeres (House of the Sea), which is a public aquarium here in Vienna. It also houses Austria's first saltwater aquarium and at the same time functions as a center for European marine research. It's located not far from the Haydnhaus.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

A very impressive aquarium.
      It is good to see a former wartime structure now put to good and productive use for all.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        --A very impressive aquarium.
        It is good to see a former wartime structure now put to good and productive use for all.
        ATL, indeed! Oh well: it used to keep the rain out, now it keeps the rain in I love the sea...

E
        "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

Working...
        X