PC technical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC technical problems

I have my own irritating problem with Firefox continually working at the pace of a slug - High CPU usage or low on virtual memory are the usual alerts - any suggestions? I use Norton antivirus as well and i wonder if there were any opinions on that?
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    I have my own irritating problem with Firefox continually working at the pace of a slug - High CPU usage or low on virtual memory are the usual alerts - any suggestions? I use Norton antivirus as well and i wonder if there were any opinions on that?
    You see what I mean? Can you express that in Neanderthal English, please? And whilst we're at it, I presume this is the place to post instructions how to post photos, scanned images etc., for dummies. Thank you. If your instructions are concise and easy to follow, you may expect some images of Strasbourg soon ...

Comment

Norton could be taking up a lot of resources; while it may be trimmed down somewhat now it has been known to be a resource hog. I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials for an anti-virus solution. It's free, seems non-intrusive, and works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        You see what I mean? Can you express that in Neanderthal English, please? And whilst we're at it, I presume this is the place to post instructions how to post photos, scanned images etc., for dummies. Thank you. If your instructions are concise and easy to follow, you may expect some images of Strasbourg soon ...
        His computer is running slow while browsing the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          His computer is running slow while browsing the Internet.
          What is an "internet"?

Comment

Just kidding, Sorrano!
            Easy-to-follow instructions for posting images, please? Via PM if you all prefer. Thanks.

Comment

Peter: Firefox is a bit of a memory hog itself. Have you tried Google Chrome?

Philip: Do you have anywhere to upload the pictures? A Flickr, Zooomr, or Photobucket account? The first step is to get a free account from one of those places. Unless you have any space elsewhere, such as from your ISP.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Norton could be taking up a lot of resources; while it may be trimmed down somewhat now it has been known to be a resource hog. I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials for an anti-virus solution. It's free, seems non-intrusive, and works pretty well.
                That's very interesting Sorrano - I need to know if it would give me the same level of protection for Internet banking that I have with Norton? Also would you recommend Google chrome? I liked it and thought it very fast, except it wasn't compatible with Norton. The one thing I do like about Norton is the safe site facility, but I'm sure antivirus slows the PC down ridiculously.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

The truth is, unless you are doing things you shouldn't be, you don't really need Norton or any other active security process. If you have Windows 7 or even Vista and an up to date version of Firefox or Chrome, you're safe enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    The truth is, unless you are doing things you shouldn't be, you don't really need Norton or any other active security process. If you have Windows 7 or even Vista and an up to date version of Firefox or Chrome, you're safe enough.
                    Maybe -but it's useful with Norton to see a red X by a site warning you it is hazardous - sometimes that happens even when I'm looking for a site on shrubs so I'm not sure it has to be something dodgy!?
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Maybe -but it's useful with Norton to see a red X by a site warning you it is hazardous - sometimes that happens even when I'm looking for a site on shrubs so I'm not sure it has to be something dodgy!?
                      Peter, I have windows 7, and use microsoft security. I trust my AVG, it gives me warnings if a site is not safe. I have used AVG technology ever since I started using a computer.
                      If I were you, I would get rid of firefox and norton.
                      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                        Peter, I have windows 7, and use microsoft security. I trust my AVG, it gives me warnings if a site is not safe. I have used AVG technology ever since I started using a computer.
                        If I were you, I would get rid of firefox and norton.
                        Are there any issues with performance speed and is it ok with windows XP?
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter: Firefox is a bit of a memory hog itself. Have you tried Google Chrome?

Philip: Do you have anywhere to upload the pictures? A Flickr, Zooomr, or Photobucket account? The first step is to get a free account from one of those places. Unless you have any space elsewhere, such as from your ISP.
                          I have heard about Photobucket, but not the others. OK, so I have to visit one of these sites, set up an account. From there on, is it simple to post images on the BRS?

Comment

Peter: Firefox is a bit of a memory hog itself. Have you tried Google Chrome? [...]
                            I use Mozilla Firefox because I was told it is less open to virus attack or whatever (preferable to IE). Is this the case?

Comment

Are there any issues with performance speed and is it ok with windows XP?

Absolutely fine, I have never experienced trouble at all !
                              I have Virgin fibre optic broadband , so I think that makes a difference to the speed as well.
                              Just to mention again about AVG, it is best to get the full paid version.
                              Last edited by Megan; 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM.
                              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Working...
                              X