No announcement yet.

Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had venison several times also. It is not a heavy meat, quite clean for a meat, etc. Sorrano, like you I have no desire to hunt! A problem is I actually do have trouble eating deer meat - I think the deer is a sacred animal, perhaps because it is one of the few animals in the wild and not in a cage - I don't know?, but I try to stay away from it often.

Unlike Philip, I am not too big into sucking down dog, maggots, etc. - I find that rather disturbing. But then again, I eat cows, pigs, chicken, etc. - I find that disturbing also. Though, all in all I don't like that I have to eat meat.

Man's best friend, a dog is - though, apparently not in China! I find that very disheartening. I find many things very disheartening. To kill really one of the very few animals that is as devoted and as loyal as the dog - yes that is screwed.

Sarcastically speaking, whose up for killing some endangered species? Perhaps the polar bear? Not that they play a major role in the life cycle or anything. It will be fun the members of the forum can wipe out the last of the great creature. Philip, I believe it would be best if you lead the hunt.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      [...] Sarcastically speaking, who's up for killing some endangered species? Perhaps the polar bear? Not that they play a major role in the life cycle or anything. It will be fun the members of the forum can wipe out the last of the great creature. Philip, I believe it would be best if you lead the hunt.
      Really Preston, I'm only for killing and eating sustainable sources of meat.
      As to killing and then eating endangered species, there is one that we could envisage : the rare creature known as the "Tonpress Beastie" (apparently there is only one left in the wilderness in the USA). According to Native American oral history, this animal has a rather thick hide, but a mix of various culinary techniques (tenderizing with a tomahawk and large boulders, boiling then slow-roasting over 4 days) renders its flesh quite delicious.
      Yes, I think I shall volunteer to lead this exceptional hunting adventure. Can I count you in? (Add smiling icon.)
      Last edited by Quijote; 09-22-2011, 07:12 PM. Reason: Native American, not Native Indian.

Comment

Not forgetting the equally rare "Chris-kilt Tartan Pipe-Bag-Tenor Monster", a beast of mythical proportions, with its violin-shaped head, huge organ-pedal feet and hairy nostrils whose meat is absolutely disgusting and not fit for human consumption. It is, I am told, an animal fit for shooting and not eating.

Comment

I feel a sketch coming on. A sort of "Food-fest-Beethoven-slaughter" angle, heavy on the social commentary. It may well include references to roast veal served in the 19th century Viennese eatery known as The Golden Trollop frequented by certain famous composers and their entourage. All duly brought up-to-date (using forum members as the cast) in the latest mise-en-scène by yours truly. May I?
          Last edited by Quijote; 09-23-2011, 12:07 AM. Reason: You want me to, admit it.

Comment

I will be looking forward to this!

Comment

Patience, Sorrano, we must await the Headmaster's green light. And I shall be giving him a leading rôle. I nearly said a ladling rôle.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Yes, I think I shall volunteer to lead this exceptional hunting adventure. Can I count you in? (Add smiling icon.)
                Yes - but do understand I won't be hunting the polar bear, ... (add rage-filled murder icon, LOL)
                ...Just kidding with you, .

Comment

Today I made tomato soup for the first time (not from a packet or a tin!!). It was a Jamie Oliver recipe, and I must say it worked just fine. A 100% all-natural dish served with crusty ciabatta bread. Not a maggot or dog in sight, Preston!

Comment

Today I made tomato soup for the first time (not from a packet or a tin!!). It was a Jamie Oliver recipe, and I must say it worked just fine. A 100% all-natural dish served with crusty ciabatta bread. Not a maggot or dog in sight, Preston!
                    I love home made tomato soup! Often, when I have an overabundance of tomatoes I will experiment on various spices and combinations to see what I can come up with. Usually, it turns out pretty good.

Comment

Sounds quite tasty indeed. Homemade tomato soup can be very good. A good thing to do with homemade tomato soup is to add basil.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                        Sounds quite tasty indeed. Homemade tomato soup can be very good. A good thing to do with homemade tomato soup is to add basil.
                        Basil, garlic, and tomatoes (with some butter) is a fantastic combination!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Basil, garlic, and tomatoes (with some butter) is a fantastic combination!
                          That sounds lovely Sorrano, I will try that next time.

I need a bit of advice about my fridge actually, so I guess the food forum would be the most appropriate.

My main fridge has packed up and it looks like seal on the door has gone, this shouldn't happen to a 1yr old fridge. However , today I bought a mini fridge that sits on the kitchen worktop, to keep the milk and butter cool, just to get by with. Now, I began to wonder if it is safe to leave this mini fridge on constantly, day & night, and are they economical to run, will it make a large difference to my electric bill.
                          Of course I didn't consider this before purchasing , but do need it to keep food and drinks cool.
                          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

When you say mini fridge, is that what they have in hotel rooms (called, I believe, mini bars)? I'm not going to give you any advice because I may be wrong and I don't want to have responsibility for any eventual accidents. Please contact the place where you bought your mini fridge from.

Comment

When you say mini fridge, is that what they have in hotel rooms (called, I believe, mini bars)? I'm not going to give you any advice because I may be wrong and I don't want to have responsibility for any eventual accidents. Please contact the place where you bought your mini fridge from.
                              Yes Philip, it is really like a mini bar. I understand your reluctance to give advice , I kind of hoped that if anyone uses one , they might be able to tell me whether they leave it on all the time. Come to think of it, I guess they leave them on in the hotel rooms.

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                                Yes Philip, it is really like a mini bar. I understand your reluctance to give advice, I kind of hoped that if anyone uses one , they might be able to tell me whether they leave it on all the time. Come to think of it, I guess they leave them on in the hotel rooms.
                                No problem Megan. But do please feel free to ask me for recipes (how to wok-fry maggots, tomato soup, émincé of dog ...), and I'll happily oblige. Still, if you poison yourself by misreading my precise instructions that is not my problem, and you will gain little by contacting your solicitors Sue, Grabbit & Runne.
                                Last edited by Quijote; 09-27-2011, 05:01 PM. Reason: Irritating typos

Comment

Working...
                                X