Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food

As this is the "general forum" for other stuff other than Beethoven and music in general, I thought that this could be a good thread to bring people together. What could be more inclusive than food? Beethoven liked eating, this is clear from the literature (coversation books and so on).
    But did he ever eat octopus? I ask, for this is exactly what I have prepared today as an entrée.
    I'd be happy to give full cooking instructions if required, but here's the extreme potted version : one fresh octopus; gently boil it for about 45 minutes in a broth of various herbs and spices; let it cool; cut up into bite-sized pieces and steep in a marinade of your choice (try to keep it Mediterranean); serve with crispy white bread and a low-alcohol white wine ("Glicene", 10%). Enjoy.

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    As this is the "general forum" for other stuff other than Beethoven and music in general, I thought that this could be a good thread to bring people together. What could be more inclusive than food? Beethoven liked eating, this is clear from the literature (coversation books and so on).
    But did he ever eat octopus? I ask, for this is exactly what I have prepared today as an entrée.
    I'd be happy to give full cooking instructions if required, but here's the extreme potted version : one fresh octopus; gently boil it for about 45 minutes in a broth of various herbs and spices; let it cool; cut up into bite-sized pieces and steep in a marinade of your choice (try to keep it Mediterranean); serve with crispy white bread and a low-alcohol white wine ("Glicene", 10%). Enjoy.
    I've had a Korean version that was very tasty, but quite hot. They cooked a lot of small octopi instead of one large one. From time to time I've had the smaller whole octopi and they are good. Squid is, too, if it's cooked right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Squid is, too, if it's cooked right.
      Personally, I'd never set fire to slang term money, Guv'nor...

Comment

I've had a Korean version that was very tasty, but quite hot. They cooked a lot of small octopi instead of one large one. From time to time I've had the smaller whole octopi and they are good. Squid is, too, if it's cooked right.
        Sounds good to me! In Italy I had corregone (I can't find an exact translation, but essentially it's a fresh water, deep-lake white fish) that is gutted, split open like a butterfly and simply grilled with a smidgeon of olive oil and doused in lemon juice. Low fat, healthy and delicious!
        You know that Beethoven liked fish, don't you?
        Last edited by Quijote; 08-31-2011, 08:25 PM. Reason: Good lord, PDG is back to torment me

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          PDG !! Got tired of reading the Beano or what? Welcome back, you rabble-rouser! Give us your menu, you old dog!

Comment

Sorry, wrong country, pal!

Comment

There have been a few on this forum who were able to irk me to distraction. PDG is/was one of them. I relish his return.

Comment

PDG !! Got tired of reading the Beano or what? Welcome back, you rabble-rouser! Give us your menu, you old dog!
                Thank you for the kind words, Phlip!

No, still reading the Beano (the greatest publication since the Bible - and even then it's a close call). If I say that Octopus is best served a la gardenia, then that might prompt Michael into a 'wink wink' response...

Comment

Back to food, Gentlemen. Now, I remember there was a particular Rhine fish that Beethoven enjoyed. What was it?

Comment

Sorry, wrong country, pal!
                    Well! Ten cents a dance would be the US translation, which I believe is about 6 UK pennies! I ask you! I may not be Travolta (circa 1977) but I'm worth more than 10 cents a dance. And I don't even dance (although I'm known to be a poser)...

Comment

Back to food, Gentlemen. Now, I remember there was a particular Rhine fish that Beethoven enjoyed. What was it?
                      Trout Quintet (five course meal) ?

Comment

Thank you for the kind words, Phlip!

No, still reading the Beano (the greatest publication since the Bible - and even then it's a close call) [...]
                        Silly boy. You obviously haven't read comics by Sartre and Nietzsche. Leave the polemic to me, I handle it much better than you. Food, PDG, is the topic.

Comment

Silly boy. You obviously haven't read comics by Sartre and Nietzsche. Leave the polemic to me, I handle it much better than you. Food, PDG, is the topic.
                          Is that so , Philip, well you can always listen to your Cephalo-pod

🎹

Comment

I think food is over-rated, and, in fact, I never eat the stuff...

Witheringly yours...

Comment

Well! Ten cents a dance would be the US translation, which I believe is about 6 UK pennies! I ask you! I may not be Travolta (circa 1977) but I'm worth more than 10 cents a dance. And I don't even dance (although I'm known to be a poser)...
                              And 10 US cents is certainly not what it was in 1977 or thereabouts. You are right, you are definitely worth more than 10 cents today or then!

Comment

Working...
                              X