Butchering the boulangeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchering the boulangeries

Sorry this is not Beethoven related (but then again, this is the "general" forum where we can post other stuff and "get to know each other better", n'est ce pas?).
    Anyway : I discovered today a new boulangerie a few metres from my apartment. It calls itself "artisanal". And my name's Beethoven! Here's the thing : you walk in, all the various breads are displayed attractively, but when you come to pay (and maybe engage in a bit of chit-chat, as humans like to do) you have to insert your money (coins or notes) into one of several gadgets. Why bother employing staff? Just set up a huge vending machine on street corners.
    Gadgets = less human contact. Thank you, rant over.

Well that's the way supermarkets are going as well - personally I avoid all the self service check outs as I haven't a clue what I'm doing! Then of course you've got the automated phone responses - now you really have got me going!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Well that's the way supermarkets are going as well - personally I avoid all the self service check outs as I haven't a clue what I'm doing! Then of course you've got the automated phone responses - now you really have got me going!
      Headmaster, you are a most likeable, clueless Luddite. But we admire you, despite your general conservatism. Please send me the cheque forthwith.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

What's next , Automated Confession?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlDN...eature=related

Last edited by Megan; 08-31-2011, 08:14 PM.
        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          Headmaster, you are a most likeable, clueless Luddite. But we admire you, despite your general conservatism. Please send me the cheque forthwith.
          A luddite (which is not a bad, wrong, etc. thing - quite the opposite) perhaps - but clueless - I think that falls into hands, . The luddites had a very valid point, imo.

Imo, damn the industrial revolution! Not industry wholly, but the "industrial revolution". Perhaps the industrial revolution was wholly evil? I don't know, but things changed in the world and far too quickly.
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            What's next , Automated Confession?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlDN...eature=related

Automated confession? Not yet, perhaps. We do have TV evangelism though, don't we?

Comment

Working...
            X