No announcement yet.

Bagpipe Humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not just score the bagpipes in D and leave the rest in C? Will it make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      Why not just score the bagpipes in D and leave the rest in C? Will it make a difference?
      Well it depends if the bagpipes are a transposing instrument : written in D but sounding in C? I really have no idea (yet). But if not, you're probably right !

Comment

In any case, I have always been suspicious of instruments you have to "squeeze" to make a sound.

Comment

Rather like singers, of course (e.g. tenors in kilts).

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            Well it depends if the bagpipes are a transposing instrument : written in D but sounding in C? I really have no idea (yet). But if not, you're probably right !
            Keep in mind we are talking about bagpipes. Who's going to notice if it's off?

Comment

Back to bagpipe humour, Sorrano !!

Comment

Back to singers (or human bagpipes) : they do have to "squeeze" themselves to produce a sound, don't they? They are a strange breed of musician, I must say. And they have no ear for music. I mean, how can you hear anything but your own voice in your ears?
                I remember reading with relish the story about Beethoven deceiving a court singer in Bonn into singing false notes when accompanied by the young Ludwig. Brilliant!

Comment

You have mentioned the "T" word, PDG. This is quite shameful, and you should be banned forthwith.
                  Actually, I have never given a thought to the range of notes playable by the bagpipes, though I would very much imagine it has to do with the pipes (Northumbrian or otherwise). Is D really their natural "key", so to speak? I mean, do the bagpipes played in the Basque region or in Brittany have anything to do with those played in Scotland? Do tell!
                  I was still at school (aged 15) when they got me to play bagpipes in a satirical skit/sketch about the UK 'punk' movement at the time - in kilt and all! I played (badly) 'Mull of Kintyre' by Wings, which had been No.1 in the UK over Xmas 1977 for 9 weeks (with 2,000,000+ sales). The noise I produced that evening was horrendously loud, and I never touched the contraption (instrument?) again.

But I was in D; that much I do remember...

Comment

There are days when the neighbor's dogs bark at me that I wish I had a bagpipe. However, it probably wouldn't make much difference how well I could play it.

Comment

For the dog problem Sorrano, ditch the bagpipes, reach for the Magnum 45. It's the only language they understand.

Comment

If I had a dog problem, and not having access to a Magnum 45 to resolve it, I would reach for a magnum of Moët & Chandon. Any vintage will do !

Comment

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

For the dog problem Sorrano, ditch the bagpipes, reach for the Magnum 45. It's the only language they understand.
                            The bagpipes are more for the neighbors who allowed their dogs to bark. I like to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                              The bagpipes are more for the neighbors who allowed their dogs to bark. I like to share.
                              Yes, bagpipes as revenge. You are a cruel man, Sorrano, a cruel man.

Comment

Yes, bagpipes as revenge. You are a cruel man, Sorrano, a cruel man.
                                However, if accordions are cheaper I may have to go with one of those. I am happy that you got my drift!

Comment

Working...
                                X