Bagpipe Humor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bagpipe Humor

Here is a page of bagpipe jokes. Warning: it will pay bagpipe music, so turn off the sound if you don't like to hear it.

http://web.ripnet.com/~nimmos/humour/humour_2.html

Thanks, I've been enjoying these!

Comment

I have several pet hates in terms of sonic phenomena. One is certainly the sound of bagpipes. I have a Scottish friend (big surprise) who finds the sound melancholic, evocative ...
      I find the sound just plain irksome. Don't tell me that Beethoven ever wrote anything for bagpipes.

Comment

Anyone wish to commission a Concerto for Bagpipes from me? Has it been done?
        In any case, the price will be high...

Comment

Another pet hate of mine in terms of sonic phenomena : the accordion.

Comment

Hmm, a Concerto for Bagpipes and Accordion, that'd be some challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              Hmm, a Concerto for Bagpipes and Accordion, that'd be some challenge.
              Have you not seen the Far Side cartoon in which a person is being introduced into hell and the devil is saying, "Welcome to hell; here's your bagpipe!"?

Comment

True hell, indeed !!

Comment

Come on, we'll have to go for a "Triple Concerto". So, "Triple Concerto for Bagpipes, Accordion and ..."
                  Any ideas for the third instrument of torture?

Comment

Banjo? Nah.

Comment

I like the bagpipes, always really have. Probably better as a solo instrument, though I don't know? Deep and sad and hopeful - those are three words the bagpipes remind me of. Though, there are many more words than that of course.

Here are some good pieces I think:

Last of the Mohicans love theme:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR-csWS1bcM

Braveheart theme:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBzkw6UnIwE

Titanic: Hymn to the Sea:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS4bi4BxTmw
                      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                        Come on, we'll have to go for a "Triple Concerto". So, "Triple Concerto for Bagpipes, Accordion and ..."
                        Any ideas for the third instrument of torture?
                        How about an organ grinder (monkey included)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          How about an organ grinder (monkey included)?
                          Only if the monkey wears a kilt.
                          OK, commission accepted : Triple Concerto for Bagpipes, Accordion and Organ Grinder. I'll send you my fee details via Private Message. You might need to sit down before you read it.
                          Would you like a dedication too? That's an extra 10%, by the way.

Comment

I don't believe bagpipes can play quite as 'low' as C major (D being much easier), so this Triple will inevitably sound slightly different to your favourite LvB work, Philip!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                              I don't believe bagpipes can play quite as 'low' as C major (D being much easier), so this Triple will inevitably sound slightly different to your favourite LvB work, Philip!
                              You have mentioned the "T" word, PDG. This is quite shameful, and you should be banned forthwith.
                              Actually, I have never given a thought to the range of notes playable by the bagpipes, though I would very much imagine it has to do with the pipes (Northumbrian or otherwise). Is D really their natural "key", so to speak? I mean, do the bagpipes played in the Basque region or in Brittany have anything to do with those played in Scotland? Do tell!

Comment

Working...
                              X