Currently active users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently active users

This is really apropos of nothing, but I have noticed when I am logged in to the BRS that the number of "currently active users" fluctuates from about 15 up to 34 (at my last reading). I know there is a hard core of users (as opposed to hardcore users; the distinction is quite important), but I have often wondered how many regular/irregular actual members there are on this site. I do know that UK newspapers are obliged to publish their readership numbers based on an independent index (the "ABC" index); I can well imagine that privately owned web sites are not. I am just curious. And I am not a cat.
    Last edited by Quijote; 08-22-2011, 10:19 PM. Reason: Don't forget to highlight in bold keywords, kiddies!

Right now, for example, there are : 28 members (1 member [me, I suppose] and 27 "guests").

Comment

These figures do tally with another website I consult from time to time (The Mxzxxt Forum), and is one that has the same "format" (programme?). A cursory check of their figures seems to give the same results : i.e. a hard core of about 15-30 regular/irregular posters. I don't post on the Mxxxxx forum, by the way (or once did a long time ago, just to "test the waters" when I was on a sulk from the BRS; it happens). Curiously, it has the same "combo" of personalities, if I may put it that way, though there seems to be lacking a seriously and consistently provocative type).
      Last edited by Quijote; 08-22-2011, 10:48 PM. Reason: I do not wish to advertise other forums on the BRS

Comment

Anyway, how many are we?

Comment

There are 8,022 users total. That is, there have been that many accounts created. Many of them have never posted, and some have only posted once or twice. The "Currently Active Users" is the count of users accessing the forum at that particular moment in time. If you want to know how many "regular" users there are, I don't know - I would have to poke around and try to figure it out. And of course it would depend on what criteria you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            [...] If you want to know how many "regular" users there are, I don't know - I would have to poke around and try to figure it out. And of course it would depend on what criteria you use.
            Well, if we were to imagine that 10% of that total figure you gave above was a starting point, that would still represent a significant number of die-hard Beethoven freaks (regular/irregular posters and "lurkers").

Comment

I imagine that some of these accounts are intended as gateways for spammers, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                I imagine that some of these accounts are intended as gateways for spammers, as well.
                We have tightened the human verification when you sign up to an account which has significantly reduced that problem.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have noted some original members logging in, but don't seem to post.
                  Perhaps we can encourage members new and old to start new topics or revive old ones.
                  ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

There are a lot of members online right now that's for sure, !
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      Yes, it seems to come in waves, so to speak. It is a cyclical thingie.

Comment

We are rolling again! No, I am not talking about ecstasy!
                        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

We are rolling again! No, I am not talking about ecstasy!
                          We are, Preston, we are! Very busy period here at the BRS. A lot better than over at another classical music forum I could mention, but won't. Hah!
                          Oh alright, here's a clue : (C major, forget the rhythm, you'll get the idea) :
                          C-G-C-G-C-G-C-E-G (pause ... yawn) F-D-F-D-F-D-B-D-G (pause, zzz) ...

Comment

Right now here on the BRS (22h00 European time) : 47 currently active users.

Comment

Working...
                            X