Garden plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garden plants

Please can someone help identify this pretty flower that has appeared in my garden. I think it might be an orchid, but not too sure.

thanks

Last edited by Megan; 04-17-2011, 04:32 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Orchadus Pusillanimous of the Genus Diorynimous Orcha.

(I've just been watching "Avatar")

Sorry, Megan, just trying to be funny, as usual. Ignore this.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't know about 'Avatar', I have never watched it.
      A friend suggested my flower may be a variety of tulip, possibly 'Angelique'.
      Here's me thinking it could be an exotic woodland orchid or something.
      Did you know that tulips originated from Turkey?
      Last edited by Megan; 04-18-2011, 05:26 AM.
      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Well I recognise the yellow flowers! Lesser Celandines, your flower though does look more tulip than orchid, especially the leaves.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Well I recognise the yellow flowers! Lesser Celandines, your flower though does look more tulip than orchid, especially the leaves.
          Yes Peter, there were masses of Lesser Celadines, and the illustrated flower does look like a tulip, I guess I'll have to settle for that,Isn't it beautiful!
          We moved here last summer, and have been delighted to see all the spring flowers coming up, including bluebells.
          I didn't want to mow the lawn much till the Celandines had finished flowering.

Comment

Michael you scamp!

I even googled Orchadus Pusillanimous

Comment

That does look like a tulip. Beautiful. There's over 100 species of tulips. My back yard also is overflowing with flowers, roses, gardenias, snapdragons, etc., etc. 'tis the Spring!
              Last edited by Joy; 04-19-2011, 05:31 PM. Reason: add
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Yes, everything looks lovely in the Spring.
                I have been watching baby blackbirds in the garden.

Comment

Michael, I take it you have become a fan of Avatar?
                  - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                    Yes, everything looks lovely in the Spring.
                    I have been watching baby blackbirds in the garden.
                    Yes and what an amazing spring we're having here in southern England - my cats are also watching the baby blackbirds! I've seen plenty of Robins as well. Last year we had 5 hedegehogs in the garden and I'm hoping they'll return this year to nest as well.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's been amazing here, too, but amazingly WET!

Comment

I don't really care about plants, flowers, cats or birds as "aesthetic" objects, to be frank. My only concern is : can they be eaten or otherwise "consumed?"

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                          I don't really care about plants, flowers, cats or birds as "aesthetic" objects, to be frank. My only concern is : can they be eaten or otherwise "consumed?"
                          I'm surprised at at such a shockingly narrow view of life from you Philip - just remember this "If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man," attributed to Albert Einstein.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm sure you're right, Peter. I believe in certain Arab countries fried (or is it grilled?) bees are considered a delicacy. As are locusts. I have myself eaten ants in Ecuador (slightly lemon-tasting, they were).
                            Let me tell you something : I was in China a few years ago. They seem to have a culinary philosophy : If it moves, you can eat it. I thoroughly enjoyed eating in China.

Comment

In my many travels I believe I have tasted almost every "meat" available on this planet. I have yet to try cat, though even in China this seemed not to be available. If one can eat cows, ducks, chickens, horses, pigs and so on, I see no problem with cats being on the menu. I do understand that some animals are not easy to cook and that their flavour is disappointing. I draw the line at eating humans, however.

Comment

Working...
                              X